Height Street Skilled Care is located in the large metropolitan area of Bakersfield, California. Featuring an overall grade of B, this appears to be a good nursing home. If you take a look at the other options in Bakersfield, we suspect you will find this facility to be a much better option than most of the nursing homes in the city. This place was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Height Street Skilled Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Bakersfield senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially would like to emphasize its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave them an A- in this category. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Building on its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing. In fact, we gave it an B+ for that category. Our nursing grade is mostly based on the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Height Street Skilled Care?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received an impressive long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our higher grades in that area with a score of B. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 96.41791 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a dangerous illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a C in that area. In our short-term care rating, we strive to craft a sound gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this nursing home. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Height Street Skilled Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Height Street Skilled Care, 19.11% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Height Street Skilled Care, 1.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Height Street Skilled Care, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which have experienced UTI's. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Height Street Skilled Care, 5.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Height Street Skilled Care, 18.08% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Height Street Skilled Care, 2.57% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Height Street Skilled Care, 95.58% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Height Street Skilled Care, 13.45% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Height Street Skilled Care, 7.15% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Height Street Skilled Care, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Height Street Skilled Care, 7.15% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Height Street Skilled Care, 3.61% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Height Street Skilled Care, 35.26% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Bakersfield, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Bakersfield, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Kern Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away1700 Mount Vernon Avenue Bakersfield California 93306Government - Hospital District or Authority(661) 326-2000
- Bakersfield Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.91 miles away420 34th St Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 327-1792
- Adventist Health BakersfieldAcute Care Hospitals 2.67 miles away2615 Chester Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 395-3000
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.34 miles away2215 Truxtun Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Other(661) 632-5000
- Bakersfield Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.84 miles away3001 Sillect Avenue Bakersfield California 93308Proprietary(661) 316-6000
- Fmc-Bakersfield Northeast0.9 miles away3201 Mall View Road Bakersfield California 93306CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 873-7918
- Davita-Northeast Bakersfield Dialysis1.21 miles away3761 Mall View Road Bakersfield California 93306CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (661) 872-3580
- Davita-Bakersfield Oak St Dialysis4.28 miles away422 Oak Street Bakersfield California 93304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 631-0227
- Davita-Bakersfield Dialysis Center5.18 miles away5143 Office Park Drive Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 76 (661) 325-4741
- Fmc-Meadows Field5.92 miles away3101 Pegasus Drive, Suite 100 Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 21 (661) 615-4200
- Davita-Riverlakes Home Training6.78 miles away3933 Coffee Road, Suite A Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 7 (661) 588-2326
- Davita-Brimhall Dialysis7.11 miles away8501 Brimhall Road, Bldg. 500 Bakersfield California 93312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 387-6603
- Davita-Casa Del Rio Home Training7.12 miles away8331 Brimhall Road Building 900, Suite 902 Bakersfield California 93312Dialysis Stations: 8 (661) 387-6405