The Hebrew Home at Riverdale is a very-large non-profit nursing home located in Bronx, New York. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. At the end of the day, this facility is a good fit for most people. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card was its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Hebrew Home at Riverdale
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
5901 Palisade Avenue,
Bronx NY 10471
61.44% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality facility is that it received an impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be its best category. In that category, we awarded this facility an A. Our inspection scores are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an impressive long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it an above average score of B+ in this area. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 98.46437 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about The Hebrew Home at Riverdale?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a strong short-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded it an above average score of B+ in this category. Our short-term care grades are believed to be more important for residents needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The last category we looked at was nursing, where this facility was given a grade of B-. Although this proved to be its lowest category score, this is still a middle of the pack score. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this metric. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning residents more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Hebrew Home at Riverdale Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic can also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 90.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is critical to patients health.
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 14 other nursing homes
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.74 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.45 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.99 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.89 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Southern Westchester Dialysis Ctr1.66 miles away44 Vark Street Yonkers New York 10701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (914) 965-0200
- St. Josephs Hosp. Hlth Ctr-Yonkers1.7 miles away127 South Broadway Dialysis Unit Yonkers New York 10701Dialysis Stations: 6 (914) 378-7480
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center1.92 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- Regency Dialysis Center2.42 miles away65 Ashburton Avenue Yonkers New York 10701Dialysis Stations: 12 (914) 963-4572
- Davita Westchester Home Training (Pd)2.57 miles away955 Yonkers Ave, Suite 201 Yonkers New York 10704Dialysis Stations: 6 (914) 237-7659
- Davita Yonkers Dialysis Center2.57 miles away575 Yonkers Avenue Yonkers New York 10704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (914) 377-2370
- Montefiore Medical Center - Wakefield Hospital2.66 miles away600 East 233rd Street Hemodialysis Unit Bronx New York 10466Dialysis Stations: 8 (718) 920-9041
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center2.73 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420