Heartwood Extended Healthcare is an average-sized nursing home located in Tacoma, Washington. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. In our view, we would be very reluctant to recommend this facility. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Heartwood Extended Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't rate this facility favorably overall, we actually awarded it an excellent grade in the area of nursing, where it earned an A-. Few places fared better in this particular area. We analyzed the licensure of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses worked with residents, in calculating our score in this category. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given its second best category score in the area of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of C in this category, which is an acceptable score. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartwood Extended Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second worse score is long-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that category. This is a relatively poor grade. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care likely don't provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities offer. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 79.57317 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Moving on our last category of inspections, this nursing home received a terrible score. We weight this grade more heavily than our other categories. With facilities that received this poor of an inspection rating, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular facility had 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we also would like to point out that this place was assessed significant government fines recently of more than $100,000. This typically signifies that a nursing home's poor track record spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartwood Extended Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 13.74% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 93.71% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 21.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartwood Extended Healthcare, 74.42% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Tacoma, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Tacoma, Washington has 9 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 8.85 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.51 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- Multicare Covington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.18 miles away17700 Se 272nd St Kent Washington 98042Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 372-7400
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.0.19 miles away1415 E 72nd St Tacoma Washington 98404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 474-2310
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.2.75 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Parkland Dialysis Center3.47 miles away311 140th St S Tacoma Washington 98444CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (253) 536-5961
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.4.32 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Nkc Fife Kidney Center4.68 miles away6021 12th Street E, Suite 110 Tacoma Washington 98424Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 943-6335
- Tacoma Dialysis Center5.01 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Puyallup Community Dialysis Center5.21 miles away802 30th Ave Sw Puyallup Washington 98373CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (253) 845-3147
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.5.29 miles away702 South Hill Park Dr Puyallup Washington 98373CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 445-7520