With an address in Vallejo, California, Heartwood Avenue Healthcare is one of just a few available nursing homes in this city. With an overall grade of B, this nursing home is a quality option. Based on our assessment, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of most people. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Heartwood Avenue Healthcare
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a strong overall score, this nursing home performed even better in our inspections category which is based on the facility's recent government inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for this category, which is one of our highest scores. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor dings aren't necessarily something to panic about.
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartwood Avenue Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also received favorable long-term care grades in our assessment. In fact, we gave it one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final category, this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in short-term care, which we consider to be an acceptable rating. In our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to craft a sound measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartwood Avenue Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that had falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Sutter Solano Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.31 miles away300 Hospital Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 554-5280
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehab CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away975 Sereno Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 651-1000
- Contra Costa Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away2500 Alhambra Avenue Martinez California 94553Government - Local(925) 370-5000
- John Muir Behavioral Health CenterPsychiatric 12.67 miles away2740 Grant Street Concord California 94524Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 674-4101
- John Muir Medical Center - Concord CampusAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away2540 East St Concord California 94520Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 682-8200
- Northbay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.82 miles away1200 B Gale Wilson Blvd Fairfield California 94533Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 646-5000
- Queen of the Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.94 miles away1000 Trancas St Napa California 94558Voluntary non-profit - Church(707) 252-4411
- John Muir Medical Center - Walnut Creek CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.3 miles away1601 Ygnacio Valley Rd Walnut Creek California 94598Voluntary non-profit - Other(925) 939-3000
- Carquinez Dialysis Center2.14 miles away125 Corporate Place Suite C Vallejo California 94590CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (707) 556-3637
- Vallejo Dialysis Center2.66 miles away830 Redwood Street Vallejo California 94590CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (707) 642-2017
- Wellbound of Vallejo2.92 miles away480 Redwood Street Suite 40 Vallejo California 94590Dialysis Stations: 4 (707) 556-3070
- Satellite Dialysis Vallejo2.98 miles away4300 Sonoma Blvd, Suite 25 Vallejo California 94589CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (707) 561-7150
- Benicia Dialysis Center4.94 miles away560 First Street Bldg d103 Benicia California 94510CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (707) 745-1488
- Fairfield Dialysis Center8.97 miles away4660 Central Way Fairfield California 94534CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (707) 863-7369
- Davita El Sobrante10.72 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Concord Dialysis Center11.21 miles away2300 Stanwell Drive Suite C Concord California 94520CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (925) 677-7492