With an address in Vallejo, California, Heartwood Avenue Healthcare is one of just a few available nursing homes in this city. With an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. Based on our assessment, this nursing home has quite a bit going for it. This facility was also given strong grades in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Heartwood Avenue Healthcare
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1044 Heartwood Ave.,
Vallejo CA 94590
49% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
This nursing home performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Nursing grades are primarily associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartwood Avenue Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also above average in the area of long-term care, where it was given a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this area. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care. We awarded this facility one of our better grades in this category, with a grade of B. This nursing home ended up being very solid across the board. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To provide high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartwood Avenue Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartwood Avenue Healthcare, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Sutter Solano Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.31 miles away300 Hospital Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 554-5280
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehab CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away975 Sereno Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 651-1000
- Contra Costa Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away2500 Alhambra Avenue Martinez California 94553Government - Local(925) 370-5000
- John Muir Behavioral Health CenterPsychiatric 12.67 miles away2740 Grant Street Concord California 94524Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 674-4101
- John Muir Medical Center - Concord CampusAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away2540 East St Concord California 94520Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 682-8200
- Northbay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.82 miles away1200 B Gale Wilson Blvd Fairfield California 94533Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 646-5000
- Queen of the Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.94 miles away1000 Trancas St Napa California 94558Voluntary non-profit - Church(707) 252-4411
- John Muir Medical Center - Walnut Creek CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.3 miles away1601 Ygnacio Valley Rd Walnut Creek California 94598Voluntary non-profit - Other(925) 939-3000
- Carquinez Dialysis Center2.14 miles away125 Corporate Place Suite C Vallejo California 94590CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (707) 556-3637
- Vallejo Dialysis Center2.66 miles away830 Redwood Street Vallejo California 94590CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (707) 642-2017
- Wellbound of Vallejo2.92 miles away480 Redwood Street Suite 40 Vallejo California 94590Dialysis Stations: 4 (707) 556-3070
- Satellite Dialysis Vallejo2.98 miles away4300 Sonoma Blvd, Suite 25 Vallejo California 94589CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (707) 561-7150
- Benicia Dialysis Center4.94 miles away560 First Street Bldg d103 Benicia California 94510CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (707) 745-1488
- Fairfield Dialysis Center8.97 miles away4660 Central Way Fairfield California 94534CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (707) 863-7369
- Davita El Sobrante10.72 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Concord Dialysis Center11.21 miles away2300 Stanwell Drive Suite C Concord California 94520CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (925) 677-7492