Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center is in Benton, Arkansas. Sporting an overall rating of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. Based on our assessment, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive nursing rating, which you can find in the next section.
Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's nursing rating was better than its overall grade. Due to a strong performance in this category, it earned a quality score in nursing with a grade of B+. Our nursing grade weighs several factors, but the most important one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category scores was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B. It actually outpaced most facilities in this category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. We were not able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable area was long-term care. We awarded it a C in this category. This is basically a slightly below average grade in this category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 91.304344 percent of its residents. This is a bit lower than we expected but still a respectable figure. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final category we looked at is inspections. Unfortunately, this nursing home didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. We had to give it an F in this area. Since this data is collected by independent government inspectors, we tend to heavily weight a poor performance in this category. This really pulled down this facility's overall score. You should pay close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection rating. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. Amazingly, this particular nursing didn't have any deficiencies on its inspection report. Clearly, this was not the area dragging down its inspection grade. Finally, this facility also received 6 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 8.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 2.3% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 12.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 21.55% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 2.07% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 95.87% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 11.98% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 12.63% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 1.81 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 12.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 12.62 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Rehabilitation and Care Center, 77.48% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Benton, AR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Benton, Arkansas has 3 other nursing homes
- Saline Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away#1 Medical Park Drive Benton Arkansas 72015Proprietary(501) 776-6000
- Arkansas Heart Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away1701 S Shackleford Road Little Rock Arkansas 72211Proprietary(501) 219-7000
- Uams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.9 miles away4301 West Markham Street Mail Slot 612 Little Rock Arkansas 72205Government - State(501) 686-5000
- Arkansas Children's HospitalChildrens 17.87 miles away1 Children's Way, Slot 301 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 364-1100
- Arkansas Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.24 miles away5201 North Shore Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72118Proprietary(501) 748-8000
- Bridgeway Inc, ThePsychiatric 19.15 miles away21 Bridgeway Road Maumelle Arkansas 72113Proprietary(501) 771-1500
- Fmcna - Benton1.57 miles away2101 Congo Rd Benton Arkansas 72015Dialysis Stations: 16 (501) 776-1418
- Davita - Saline County Dialysis3.12 miles awayGround Level-1200 N Main Ste 2 Benton Arkansas 72015Dialysis Stations: 12 (501) 776-1816
- Davita - South Little Rock12.69 miles away6115 Baseline Rd Little Rock Arkansas 72209CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (501) 570-0543
- Dci - Little Rock Renal Services LLC13.94 miles away1910 John Barrow Rd Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 227-0983
- Westside Dialysis Unit LLC14.08 miles away1515 Kanis Park Dr Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 16 (501) 379-9208
- Davita - Little Rock Midtown Dialysis14.23 miles away#2 Lile Ct Ste 102 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (501) 221-3123
- Arkansas Staff Assisted Hemodialysis Clinic14.52 miles away9421 West Markham Suite B Little Rock Arkansas 72205Dialysis Stations: 4 (501) 217-3888
- Davita - Little Rock Dialysis14.98 miles away6 Freeway Drive Suite 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 664-6754