Heartland of Willoughby is located in Willoughby, Ohio. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some respectable marks. In our view, this nursing home should be a solid choice for quite a few people. This nursing home didn't fare well in all of our categories, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Heartland of Willoughby
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
37603 Euclid Ave,
Willoughby OH 44094
60.63% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this facility's nursing score outpaced its overall grade. We gave it a B for its nursing score. When determining a facility's nursing rating, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are caring for patients as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This facility's inspection score exceeded its overall score as well. We gave them one of our better grades in that category, with a B. This is a notably better score than its overall grade. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland of Willoughby?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third best category grade in the category of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a B- in this category, which is a respectable grade. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was long-term care, which was this facility's least impressive area. We gave this facility a D in that category. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.65636 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this nursing home also keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland of Willoughby Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland of Willoughby, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland of Willoughby, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland of Willoughby, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland of Willoughby, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland of Willoughby, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland of Willoughby, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland of Willoughby, 90.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland of Willoughby, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland of Willoughby, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland of Willoughby, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland of Willoughby, 12 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland of Willoughby, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Uhhs Richmond Heights HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away27100 Chardon Road Cleveland Ohio 44143Proprietary(440) 585-6170
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Lake HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away7590 Auburn Road Painesville Ohio 44077Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 953-9600
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.12 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.19 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 13.19 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Uh Geauga Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away13207 Ravenna Rd Chardon Ohio 44024Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 269-6000
- Fmc - Mentor Dialysis2.9 miles away8840 Tyler Blvd Mentor Ohio 44060Dialysis Stations: 17 (440) 974-3459
- Cdc Home Care Mentor2.9 miles away8900 Tyler Blvd Mentor Ohio 44060Dialysis Stations: 4 (440) 951-3602
- Community Dialysis Center2.9 miles away8900 Tyler Blvd Mentor Ohio 44060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (440) 951-3602
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group Euclid5.32 miles away26450 Euclid Ave. Euclid Ohio 44132Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 731-0513
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.5.78 miles away25301 Euclid Avenue Euclid Ohio 44117CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (216) 732-3750
- Community Dialysis Center9.05 miles away1233 Mentor Avenue Painesville Ohio 44077Dialysis Stations: 15 (440) 357-9262
- Davita - Auburn Road Dialysis9.11 miles away7611 Auburn Road Painesville Ohio 44077Dialysis Stations: 13 (440) 357-2927
- Community Dialysis Center9.93 miles away27350 Cedar Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 378-1580