Heartland of Willoughby is located in Willoughby, Ohio. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some respectable marks. In our view, this nursing home should be a solid choice for quite a few people. We were also pleased to discover that this nursing home was consistent in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories is available below.
Heartland of Willoughby
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's nursing grade was more impressive than its overall score. With a strong performance in this area, it earned one of our better scores in nursing with a B+. Nursing scores are primarily tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be more important for patients requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland of Willoughby?
We also found that this facility has received favorable government inspections in recent years. In fact, we awarded it a B- in this category. This is better than many nursing homes in this category. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in that area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland of Willoughby Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland of Willoughby, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland of Willoughby, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland of Willoughby, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland of Willoughby, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland of Willoughby, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland of Willoughby, 20% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. High levels of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland of Willoughby, 90.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland of Willoughby, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland of Willoughby, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland of Willoughby, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland of Willoughby, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland of Willoughby, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Uhhs Richmond Heights HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away27100 Chardon Road Cleveland Ohio 44143Proprietary(440) 585-6170
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Lake HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away7590 Auburn Road Painesville Ohio 44077Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 953-9600
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.12 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.19 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 13.19 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Uh Geauga Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away13207 Ravenna Rd Chardon Ohio 44024Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 269-6000
- Fmc - Mentor Dialysis2.9 miles away8840 Tyler Blvd Mentor Ohio 44060Dialysis Stations: 17 (440) 974-3459
- Cdc Home Care Mentor2.9 miles away8900 Tyler Blvd Mentor Ohio 44060Dialysis Stations: 4 (440) 951-3602
- Community Dialysis Center2.9 miles away8900 Tyler Blvd Mentor Ohio 44060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (440) 951-3602
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group Euclid5.32 miles away26450 Euclid Ave. Euclid Ohio 44132Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 731-0513
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.5.78 miles away25301 Euclid Avenue Euclid Ohio 44117CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (216) 732-3750
- Community Dialysis Center9.05 miles away1233 Mentor Avenue Painesville Ohio 44077Dialysis Stations: 15 (440) 357-9262
- Davita - Auburn Road Dialysis9.11 miles away7611 Auburn Road Painesville Ohio 44077Dialysis Stations: 13 (440) 357-2927
- Community Dialysis Center9.93 miles away27350 Cedar Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 378-1580