Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center is a large facility located in Charleston, South Carolina. This is a lower end nursing home, with an overall grade of D. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Charleston. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection score. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall performance, it did receive an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that category with a B+. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest category came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B-. In the area of long-term care, we look at the amount of care provided by a facility, as opposed to more healthcare-oriented services. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 90.336136 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly less than the national average. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the area of short-term care, with a C. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the typical facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The final area we rated was nursing. We gave it an F in this area, which is an abysmal grade. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This statistic is quite a bit below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 9.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents which sustained falls leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 3.18% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that sustained a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 15.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 19.68% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients that are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 2.85% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 88.92% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 14.02% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 20.24% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 20.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 73.11% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Charleston, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Charleston, South Carolina has 5 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours-St Francis Xavier HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away2095 Henry Tecklenburg Drive Charleston South Carolina 29414Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 402-1006
- Musc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.65 miles away169 Ashley Ave Charleston South Carolina 29425Government - State(843) 792-2300
- Roper HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away316 Calhoun St Charleston South Carolina 29401Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2800
- East Cooper Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away2000 Hospital Dr Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29464Proprietary(843) 881-0100
- Trident Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.36 miles away9330 Medical Plaza Dr Charleston South Carolina 29406Proprietary(843) 847-4100
- Mount Pleasant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.71 miles away3510 Highway 17 North Suite 140 Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29466Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2954
- Pointe Dialysis, LLC2.16 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-3 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 20 (843) 852-3537
- Coast Dialysis, LLC2.16 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-2 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 573-8767
- Dci Magnolia Court2.37 miles away1427 King Street Charleston South Carolina 29403Dialysis Stations: 17 (843) 853-3399
- Faber Place Dialysis2.53 miles away3801 Faber Place Drive North Charleston South Carolina 29405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (843) 377-1566
- Nkc Charleston, LLC2.83 miles away2270 Ashley Crossing Suite 130a Charleston South Carolina 29414Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 231-3660
- Dci West Ashley2.93 miles away46 B Markfield Road Charleston South Carolina 29407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (843) 766-2317
- Rai Care Centers Charleston3.22 miles away2080 Charlie Hall Blvd Charleston South Carolina 29414CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (843) 766-4655
- North Charleston Dialysis5.85 miles away5900 Rivers Ave Ste E Charleston South Carolina 29406CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (843) 747-3447