Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center is one of six nursing homes located in Charleston, South Carolina. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. Based on our assessment, this place ought to meet the needs of many people. While this nursing home has performed respectably, we did want to let you know that there was an ownership change in the last year. We will keep an eye on their inspections and quality scores to see whether their performance goes up or down under new ownership.
Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this nursing home's inspection score exceeded its overall grade. This facility earned a grade of B+ in this category, which is a quality score. Our inspection ratings are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. It actually performed better than most facilities in this category. Our short-term care grades are critical for prospective residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this area. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 91.34199 percent of its patients. This is a few points below what we expected but still a decent figure. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next category we rated was nursing, which was this nursing home's weakest area. We gave it an F for this area, which is certainly concerning. When determining a facility's nursing grade, we look at the quantity of hours nurses are seeing residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This place offered just 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient daily. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these data points to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 9.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 3.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who had UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 14.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 19.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 2.74% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 88.77% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 14.72% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 22.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 1.55 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 22.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 12.88 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, 72.67% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Charleston, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Charleston, South Carolina has 5 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours-St Francis Xavier HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away2095 Henry Tecklenburg Drive Charleston South Carolina 29414Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 402-1006
- Musc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.65 miles away169 Ashley Ave Charleston South Carolina 29425Government - State(843) 792-2300
- Roper HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away316 Calhoun St Charleston South Carolina 29401Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2800
- East Cooper Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away2000 Hospital Dr Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29464Proprietary(843) 881-0100
- Trident Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.36 miles away9330 Medical Plaza Dr Charleston South Carolina 29406Proprietary(843) 847-4100
- Mount Pleasant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.71 miles away3510 Highway 17 North Suite 140 Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29466Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2954
- Pointe Dialysis, LLC2.16 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-3 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 20 (843) 852-3537
- Coast Dialysis, LLC2.16 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-2 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 573-8767
- Dci Magnolia Court2.37 miles away1427 King Street Charleston South Carolina 29403Dialysis Stations: 17 (843) 853-3399
- Faber Place Dialysis2.53 miles away3801 Faber Place Drive North Charleston South Carolina 29405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (843) 377-1566
- Nkc Charleston, LLC2.83 miles away2270 Ashley Crossing Suite 130a Charleston South Carolina 29414Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 231-3660
- Dci West Ashley2.93 miles away46 B Markfield Road Charleston South Carolina 29407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (843) 766-2317
- Rai Care Centers Charleston3.22 miles away2080 Charlie Hall Blvd Charleston South Carolina 29414CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (843) 766-4655
- North Charleston Dialysis5.85 miles away5900 Rivers Ave Ste E Charleston South Carolina 29406CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (843) 747-3447