Heartland of Madeira is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Cincinnati, Ohio. We gave this facility an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. In our grading scheme, this is one of the ten worst rated facilities in Cincinnati. Given that the city has more than 70 other facilities, you will probably be able to find a better option here. Finally, there was an ownership change at this facility in the last year. Ideally, their performance will improve under new ownership.
Heartland of Madeira
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Heartland of Madeira has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a C for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. This facility had 3 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This indicates CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
This facility's second best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland of Madeira?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a a terrible grade in our short-term care area. It received a lowly F in this area. In computing our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Considering its abysmal grade in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics sunk this facility's short-term care score.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home did not perform well here either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as terrible as it gets. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 97.27273 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland of Madeira Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland of Madeira, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland of Madeira, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland of Madeira, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland of Madeira, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland of Madeira, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland of Madeira, 20% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland of Madeira, 90.19% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland of Madeira, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland of Madeira, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland of Madeira, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland of Madeira, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland of Madeira, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Cincinnati, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cincinnati, Ohio has 73 other nursing homes
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 6.66 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 7.43 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 8 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Davita - Silverton Hometraining Dialysis1.56 miles away6929 Silverton Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 1 (513) 793-4376
- Davita - Silverton Dialysis1.56 miles away6929 Silverton Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 793-0555
- Infiniti Dialysis Center of Cincinnati, LLC2.21 miles away4750 E. Galbraith Road Suite 103 Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 3 (513) 791-2137
- Us Renal Care of Kenwood2.25 miles away5150 E. Galbraith Rd., Suite 101 Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 18 (513) 791-2698
- Fmc-Liberty Dialysis-Kenwood2.28 miles away8251 Pine Road, Suite 110 Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 24 (513) 745-0800
- Davita - Redbank Village Dialysis2.31 miles away3960 Redbank Rd., Ste 160 Cincinnati Ohio 45227Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 271-5420
- Davita - Norwood Dialysis3.76 miles away2300 Wall Street Cincinnati Ohio 45212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (513) 531-2111
- Fmc - Liberty Norwood4.07 miles away2071 Sherman Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (513) 841-1800