Heartland of Kettering is an average-sized non-profit nursing home in Dayton, Ohio. Sporting an overall score of B-, this is a respectable nursing home. Even in a city featuring 34 nursing homes, this facility ought to be a perfectly acceptable option. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Heartland of Kettering
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A- for its inspection grade. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Our inspection grades are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
This nursing home also received a strong grade in our nursing category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing score is largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland of Kettering?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category ended up being short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B-. Short-term care scores are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final category, this nursing home was awarded a decent long-term care grade of C. For residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinates 97.51773 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland of Kettering Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland of Kettering, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland of Kettering, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland of Kettering, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who had UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland of Kettering, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland of Kettering, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland of Kettering, 20% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland of Kettering, 90.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland of Kettering, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland of Kettering, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland of Kettering, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland of Kettering, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland of Kettering, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Dayton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Dayton, Ohio has 33 other nursing homes
- Kettering Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away3535 Southern Boulevard Dayton Ohio 45429Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 395-8165
- Grandview Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away405 Grand Avenue Dayton Ohio 45405Voluntary non-profit - Other(937) 723-3200
- Soin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away3535 Pentagon Park Blvd Dayton Ohio 45431Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 702-4000
- Sycamore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away4000 Miamisburg-Centerville Road Miamisburg Ohio 45342Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 384-8776
- Greene Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away1141 North Monroe Drive Xenia Ohio 45385Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 352-2000
- Davita - Kettering Dialysis2.64 miles away5721 Bigger Road Dayton Ohio 45440Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 435-4030
- Davita - Home Dialysis of Dayton South3.26 miles away3030 S Dixie Drive Dayton Ohio 45409Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 296-1171
- Davita - Dayton East at Home3.48 miles away1431 Business Center Court, Ste B Dayton Ohio 45410Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 252-1867
- Davita Dialysis Centers of Dayton East3.48 miles away1431 Business Center Court Dayton Ohio 45410Dialysis Stations: 15 (937) 252-1867
- Davita - Dayton South Dialysis4.23 miles away4700 Springboro Pike Dayton Ohio 45439Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 294-7188
- Fresenius Kidney Care Dayton East4.44 miles away821 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. Dayton Ohio 45417Dialysis Stations: 21 (937) 222-5859
- Fmc - Dayton Regional Dialysis-South,Inc5.2 miles away7700 Washington Village Drive, Suite 100 Dayton Ohio 45459CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (937) 438-9595
- Fkc- Centerville Home5.23 miles away7700 Washington Village Drive Dayton Ohio 45459Dialysis Stations: 1 (614) 746-4623