Heartland - Holly Glen is an average-sized nursing home in Toledo, Ohio. Our scoring scheme was not favorable to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall score of F. This nursing home is just about as bad as it gets. Lastly, this nursing home's ownership changed in the last year, so we will need to monitor it to confirm it is able to raise its standard of care going forward.
Heartland - Holly Glen
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Heartland - Holly Glen has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this place incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our more favorable scores in that category with a B. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its short-term care score, which ended up being one of its higher category grades. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Based on its grade in this area, we were not surprised to find that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we assessed. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland - Holly Glen?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this area, which is a very poor grade. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 90 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland - Holly Glen Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 20% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 90.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland - Holly Glen, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Toledo, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Toledo, Ohio has 15 other nursing homes
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.94 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 4.33 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Davita - West Toledo0.24 miles away2900 Carrskadon Avenue Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 17 (419) 531-0755
- Fmc - Toledo Central Dialysis0.6 miles away3100 West Central Avenue, Suite 100 Toledo Ohio 43606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 539-4000
- The Toledo Hospital Dialysis0.97 miles away2142 North Cove Blvd Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 5 (419) 291-8670
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate1.16 miles away3546 West Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 474-3379
- Us Renal Care Northwest Ohio Dialysis1.37 miles away3829 Woodley Road Suite C-12 Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 473-9900
- Fmc - Toledo Laskey Dialysis1.64 miles away2532 W. Laskey Road Toledo Ohio 43613CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 474-8995
- Davita-Miracle Mile Dialysis1.78 miles away4925 Jackman Road Unit 59 Toledo Ohio 43613Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 474-4989
- Dialysis Centers of Northwest Ohio, Ltd2.83 miles away5719 Jackman Rd Toledo Ohio 43613CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 471-1710