Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Austin, Texas. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Although this score isn't too far off the city grade in Austin which is a C, you still ought to be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Austin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't give this place a good overall grade, we did give it a strong grade in the area of inspections, where it received a B+. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a middle of the pack grade in the area of long-term care, where it received a C. In our long-term care grade, we focus on the quantity of services provided by a nursing home, along with a handful of qualitative metrics. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care grade. This is not a score to write home about. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. As you might expect, we discovered that this nursing home provides substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical facility. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Switching gears to the next category, this facility did not fare well in this category either. With a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is really as terrible as it gets. Our nursing grade is mostly based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 6.01% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 3.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 0.76% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who have had UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 7.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 8.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 1.18% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 100% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 33.94% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 12.44% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 12.44% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 9.67% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Austin Wellness and Rehabilitation, 80.28% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 9 other nursing homes
- Ascension Seton NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away11113 Research Boulevard Austin Texas 78759Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-6000
- North Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away12221 Mopac Expressway North Austin Texas 78758Proprietary(512) 901-1000
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Baylor Scott & White Emergency Medical Center at CAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away900 East Whitestone Blvd Cedar Park Texas 78613Government - Hospital District or Authority(512) 684-4911
- Round Rock Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away2400 Round Rock Ave Round Rock Texas 78681Proprietary(512) 341-1000
- Cedar Park Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away1401 Medical Parkway Cedar Park Texas 78613Proprietary(512) 528-7000
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Madison Dialysis, LLC2.69 miles away11150 Research Blvd. Austin Texas 78759Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 342-1097
- Wellbound of Austin4.49 miles away12176 N Mo Pac Expressway, Suite A Austin Texas 78758Dialysis Stations: 4 (512) 833-6695
- Nna - North4.85 miles away12221 Renfert Way Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (512) 873-0346
- Satellite Dialysis Metric5.21 miles away10000 Metric Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (512) 977-0300
- Cedar Park Dialysis Center6.86 miles away1720 E Whitestone Blvd Cedar Park Texas 78613Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 528-8478
- Satellite Health Care, Inc.7 miles away16010 Park Valley Drive Suite 100 Round Rock Texas 78681CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 275-0100
- Round Rock Dialysis7.13 miles away1800 Round Rock Avenue Round Rock Texas 78681Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 310-8797
- Fresenius Medical Care of Cedar Park7.43 miles away1201 North Lakeline Blvd. Suite 100 Cedar Park Texas 78613Dialysis Stations: 17 (512) 259-1329