Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville is an average-sized nursing home in Jacksonville, Florida. This nursing home is a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. Even in a city offering 31 other nursing homes, this nursing home looks like a sound selection. The best part of this facility's strong report card is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong nursing home overall, this place excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this category. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility truly excelled in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Only a select group of facilities performed more favorably in this area. In calculating our short-term care grades, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is often a solid measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. It does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. Our nursing score considers a number of factors. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. While this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this subcategory. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, we gave this nursing home a D for long-term care. This is the nursing home's weakest category grade. Naturally, this score pulled down the facility's overall grade a bit. For prospective patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home vaccinated 97.37991 percent of its residents, which is a very solid percentage. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 2.43% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 94.61% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center Jacksonville, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Jacksonville, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jacksonville, Florida has 30 other nursing homes
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 6.21 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 7.85 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.3 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Uf Health JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away655 W 8th St Jacksonville Florida 32209Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 244-0411
- Orange Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away2001 Kingsley Ave Orange Park Florida 32073Voluntary non-profit - Other(904) 276-8500
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 12.52 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Ascension St Vincent's Clay CountyAcute Care Hospitals 12.63 miles away1670 St Vincents Way Middleburg Florida 32068Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 602-1000
- Normandy Village Dialysis Center1.02 miles away1584 Normandy Village Pkwy #29 Jacksonville Florida 32221CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (904) 781-7272
- Jacksonville Westside Dialysis3.85 miles away5276 Blanding Blvd Suite 26 Jacksonville Florida 32210Dialysis Stations: 20 (904) 573-6405
- Jacksonville Kidney Center5.09 miles away1107 Myra St Ste 101 Jacksonville Florida 32204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (904) 354-3333
- Ara Collins Road Dialysis Center6.58 miles away6196 Lake Gray Blvd Suite 112 Jacksonville Florida 32244Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 772-0933
- Fmc-Trout River Dialysis7.37 miles away3107 Edgewood Ave W Jacksonville Florida 32209Dialysis Stations: 17 (904) 765-5033
- Baptist Medical Center - Pediatric Dialysis7.81 miles away800 Prudential Dr m2west Jacksonville Florida 32207Dialysis Stations: 5 (904) 202-0436
- Ara - West Jacksonville LLC7.93 miles away425 N Lee Street Suite 103 Jacksonville Florida 32204Dialysis Stations: 29 (904) 598-2711
- Dialysis Clinic Inc8.16 miles away757 Union Street W Jacksonville Florida 32202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (904) 354-0409