Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East is a large non-profit nursing home in Greenville, South Carolina. We gave this nursing home an overall score of B+, which is a quality rating. In fact, it proved to be one of the five highest graded nursing homes in Greenville. Greenville features a host of nursing homes, however, we doubt you will need to look at too many others. This one looks like a high quality option. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor dings are not something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility truly excelled in the category of short-term care, where it received a score of A-. Few facilities performed more favorably in this area. In determining our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is typically a solid measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. The nursing grade analyzes a handful of factors, but the paramount consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was long-term care. This nursing home was given a very good long-term care score this year, with a grade of B. This nursing home truly doesn't have any weak spots. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.62637 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 9.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 3.18% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 15.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 19.68% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 2.85% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. High levels of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 88.92% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 14.02% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 20.24% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 20.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville East, 73.11% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Greenville, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Greenville, South Carolina has 11 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away905 Verdae Blvd Suite 102 Greenville South Carolina 29605Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 455-7000
- Prisma Health Baptist Easley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away200 Fleetwood Drive Easley South Carolina 29640Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 442-7606
- Prisma Health Greer Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.2 miles away830 South Buncombe Road Greer South Carolina 29650Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 848-8200
- Pelham Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away250 Westmoreland Road Greer South Carolina 29651Government - Hospital District or Authority(864) 560-6554
- Cannon Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.28 miles away123 W G Acker Drive Pickens South Carolina 29671Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 878-4791
- Prisma Health Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.46 miles away741 South East Main Street Simpsonville South Carolina 29681Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 454-6100
- Rcg Greenville Dialysis Center3.19 miles away297 Pete Hollis Blvd. Greenville South Carolina 29601CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 232-9456
- Greenville Dialysis Clinic, LLC4.35 miles away220-a Howe Street Greenville South Carolina 29601Dialysis Stations: 20 (864) 271-2002
- Upstate Dialysis Center4.76 miles away308 Mills Ave Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (864) 271-3700
- Dsi Travelers Rest Dialysis5.4 miles away36 S Main St Travelers Rest South Carolina 29690Dialysis Stations: 13 (864) 660-2050
- Dsi Greenville Renal Center5.52 miles away1004 Grove Road Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (864) 242-0802
- Dsi Greenville, LLC6.33 miles away121 Commerce Blvd Easley South Carolina 29642Dialysis Stations: 4 (864) 859-7902
- Dsi Pleasantburg Dialysis7.61 miles away110 Chalmers Dr Ste C Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (864) 558-2365
- Dsi Home Dialysis Pleasantburg7.61 miles away110 Chalmers Road, Suite D Greenville South Carolina 29605Dialysis Stations: 3 (864) 558-2375