Heartland Health Care Center-Canton is in Canton, Michigan. We awarded this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. Based on our analysis, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. If you look below, you will see this place's category grades, which are also impressive.
Heartland Health Care Center-Canton
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. The nursing rating analyzes quite a few components, but the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center-Canton?
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to note the fact that this facility was awarded an elite score of A- in our short-term care category. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the number of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this nursing home received an extremely favorable long-term care grade. Even though this is not nearly as elite as some of its other grades, this is nevertheless one of our more favorable grades we offer. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center-Canton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 3.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 91.43% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Forest Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away135 S Prospect St Ypsilanti Michigan 48198Government - Hospital District or Authority(734) 547-4700
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- St Joseph Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away5301 E Huron River Dr Ann Arbor Michigan 48106Voluntary non-profit - Church(734) 712-3456
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 12.93 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fms - Sheldon Corners1.19 miles away6064 N Sheldon Rd Canton Michigan 48187CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 207-6219
- Michigan Dialysis Services, LLC1.55 miles away275 N Canton Center Rd Canton Michigan 48187Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 844-0108
- Westland Dialysis of Davita3.11 miles away36588 Ford Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 721-1030
- Davita - Garden West4.8 miles away5715 N Venoy Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (734) 261-9418
- Greenfield Hs - Livonia4.89 miles away14555 Levan Rd Livonia Michigan 48154CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 591-6409
- Fmc Dialysis - Livonia5.89 miles away32423 Schoolcraft Livonia Michigan 48150Dialysis Stations: 20 (734) 525-0780
- Univ of Mi Dialysis Clinics - Livonia6.87 miles away19900 Haggerty Rd Ste 106 Livonia Michigan 48152CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 432-7870
- Fmc - Garden City7.58 miles away27201 W Warren St Dearborn Heights Michigan 48127Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 274-5568