Heartland Health Care Center-Canton is in Canton, Michigan. We awarded this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the country. Based on our analysis, you can not go wrong with this nursing home. The best part of this facility's strong report card was its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next section
Heartland Health Care Center-Canton
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Our nursing score includes many datapoints. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its top-shelf achievements in other areas, we gave this nursing home a score of A for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care grade is often used to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center-Canton?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was long-term care. We gave this nursing home an acceptable grade in that area, with a grade of B-. While this was not as high as many of this nursing home's other grades, it is nevertheless not a poor grade. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center-Canton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which had a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 3.47% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 91.4% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Forest Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away135 S Prospect St Ypsilanti Michigan 48198Government - Hospital District or Authority(734) 547-4700
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- St Joseph Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away5301 E Huron River Dr Ann Arbor Michigan 48106Voluntary non-profit - Church(734) 712-3456
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 12.93 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fms - Sheldon Corners1.19 miles away6064 N Sheldon Rd Canton Michigan 48187CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 207-6219
- Michigan Dialysis Services, LLC1.55 miles away275 N Canton Center Rd Canton Michigan 48187Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 844-0108
- Westland Dialysis of Davita3.11 miles away36588 Ford Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 721-1030
- Davita - Garden West4.8 miles away5715 N Venoy Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (734) 261-9418
- Greenfield Hs - Livonia4.89 miles away14555 Levan Rd Livonia Michigan 48154CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 591-6409
- Fmc Dialysis - Livonia5.89 miles away32423 Schoolcraft Livonia Michigan 48150Dialysis Stations: 20 (734) 525-0780
- Univ of Mi Dialysis Clinics - Livonia6.87 miles away19900 Haggerty Rd Ste 106 Livonia Michigan 48152CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 432-7870
- Fmc - Garden City7.58 miles away27201 W Warren St Dearborn Heights Michigan 48127Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 274-5568