Heartland Health Care Center-Canton is in Canton, Michigan. We awarded this facility an B+ overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. This nursing home truly has plenty working in its favor. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Heartland Health Care Center-Canton
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Canton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. Our nursing grade looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of skill of the nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Michigan in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center-Canton?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was short-term care. This facility received a favorable short-term care score, with a grade of B+ in this area. Our short-term care grade is often employed to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility an acceptable grade of B-. This was this nursing home's weakest area. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.27536 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable statistic. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center-Canton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients that developed pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 3.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 91.02% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center-Canton, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Forest Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away135 S Prospect St Ypsilanti Michigan 48198Government - Hospital District or Authority(734) 547-4700
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- St Joseph Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away5301 E Huron River Dr Ann Arbor Michigan 48106Voluntary non-profit - Church(734) 712-3456
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 12.93 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fms - Sheldon Corners1.19 miles away6064 N Sheldon Rd Canton Michigan 48187CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 207-6219
- Michigan Dialysis Services, LLC1.55 miles away275 N Canton Center Rd Canton Michigan 48187Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 844-0108
- Westland Dialysis of Davita3.11 miles away36588 Ford Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 721-1030
- Davita - Garden West4.8 miles away5715 N Venoy Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (734) 261-9418
- Greenfield Hs - Livonia4.89 miles away14555 Levan Rd Livonia Michigan 48154CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 591-6409
- Fmc Dialysis - Livonia5.89 miles away32423 Schoolcraft Livonia Michigan 48150Dialysis Stations: 20 (734) 525-0780
- Univ of Mi Dialysis Clinics - Livonia6.87 miles away19900 Haggerty Rd Ste 106 Livonia Michigan 48152CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 432-7870
- Fmc - Garden City7.58 miles away27201 W Warren St Dearborn Heights Michigan 48127Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 274-5568