Healthsource Saginaw is located in Saginaw, Michigan. This city has a population of 135,669 people. This is a good nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Saginaw. Based on our assessment, this nursing home has quite a bit going for it. Fortunately, this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saginaw senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. In crafting these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Healthsource Saginaw?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable category is its long-term care grade, where it was awarded a grade of B-. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 97.85408 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Finally, turning to our inspection category, we gave this facility a C. Our inspection rating is based on the facility's government inspections. Although this is not a bad score, it is this facility's weakest area. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were category G through L deficiencies. This means this facility dodged the more significant classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Healthsource Saginaw Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Healthsource Saginaw, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients which are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Healthsource Saginaw, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which experienced a fall which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Healthsource Saginaw, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Healthsource Saginaw, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Healthsource Saginaw, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Healthsource Saginaw, 3.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Healthsource Saginaw, 91.02% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Healthsource Saginaw, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Healthsource Saginaw, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Healthsource Saginaw, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Healthsource Saginaw, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Healthsource Saginaw, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Healthsource Saginaw, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saginaw, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saginaw, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Healthsource SaginawAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away3340 Hospital Road Saginaw Michigan 48603Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 790-7888
- Covenant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away1447 N Harrison Saginaw Michigan 48602Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 583-4000
- Ascension St Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away800 S Washington Avenue Saginaw Michigan 48601Voluntary non-profit - Church(989) 776-8000
- Mclaren Bay RegionAcute Care Hospitals 13.1 miles away1900 Columbus Ave Bay City Michigan 48708Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 894-3000
- Midmichigan Medical Center-MidlandAcute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away4000 Wellness Drive Midland Michigan 48670Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 839-3000
- Gulch Dialysis LLC4.4 miles away5641 Bay Rd Saginaw Michigan 48604Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 249-1350
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw4.51 miles away4800 Mcleod Dr E Saginaw Michigan 48604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (989) 790-9440
- Town Center Dialysis - Davita5.04 miles away323 N Michigan Ave Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 791-3624
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw Riverside5.34 miles away920 N Niagara St Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (989) 921-2170
- Saginaw Dialysis Clinic - Davita5.84 miles away311 Hoyt Ave Saginaw Michigan 48607Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 771-5094
- Davita - Bay City Dialysis11.88 miles away3170 Professional Ct Bay City Michigan 48706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (989) 686-8782
- Davita Colmare Dialysis12.05 miles away6302 Dixie Hwy Bridgeport Michigan 48722Dialysis Stations: 12 (989) 777-0780
- Bay Area Reg Dialysis - Essexville14.43 miles away1536 W Center Rd Essexville Michigan 48732Dialysis Stations: 24 (989) 894-2810