Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village is one of four facilities located in Crown Point, Indiana. It looks like this facility is a well below average facility. A score in this range suggests we found some red flags. Based on our ratings, this place likely isn't a great fit for most prospective residents. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its strong inspection reports. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1200 E Luther Dr,
Crown Point IN 46307
71.8% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this facility a good overall grade, we actually gave it a strong grade in the category of inspections, where it received a B+. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
The next highest category we gave this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a C. In determining our short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. We were extremely impressed to find that this facility offers its residents substantially more physical therapist hours than most other nursing homes. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. It performed better than most facilities in this area with 53.7 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was given a grade of just D in that area. Nursing homes that don't fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated just 82.954544 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Finally, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. With 1.84 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home did not fare as well as the average nursing home.
The next category we looked at is nursing. This nursing home received a poor grade of F in that category. Our nursing category assesses quite a few subcategories, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. With only 2.9 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. To pair with its subpar totals in the area of nursing hours per patient, this place also did not perform as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing ratings. We looked at the percent of residents experiencing major falls and pressure ulcers. This facility had more pressure ulcers and falls than the average facility. This could be a bad sign when you consider that many bed sores and falls are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, these statistics pulled down this nursing home's nursing grade quite a bit.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 3.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 1.95% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 21.53% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 12.55% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 91.52% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 16.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 17.47% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 17.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 11.18 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Healthcare Center at Wittenberg Village, 73.66% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Crown Point, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Crown Point, Indiana has 3 other nursing homes
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 0.67 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.25 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 11.05 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 12.63 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 17 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 17.27 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Fmc - Crown Point1.44 miles away851 W. Burrell St. Crown Point Indiana 46307CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 662-2648
- Davita - Merrillville Dialysis3.75 miles away9223 Taft Street Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 793-9035
- Fmc - Merrillville Dialysis Center4.65 miles away550 West 84th Drive Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 795-1990
- Home Dialysis Services Merrillville, LLC5.28 miles away200 East 80th Place Suite 2 Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 1 (219) 472-0379
- Davita - St. John Dialysis6.6 miles away10033 Wicker Ave Saint John Indiana 46373Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 365-5043
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center7.6 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Schererville Dialysis Center7.72 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448
- Fmc - Hobart9.16 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289