Health Center at Bloomingdale is the lone facility we identified in Bloomingdale, New Jersey. This facility received an A- overall, which is one of our better ratings. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes nationally. If you scroll down, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also strong.
Health Center at Bloomingdale
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
255 Union Ave,
Bloomingdale NJ 07403
84.83% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, it also earned A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections are virtually flawless. Inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among its many impressive scores, this nursing home was given first-rate long-term care grade. In fact, it received a grade of A in this area. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Health Center at Bloomingdale?
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to note the fact that this nursing home was given a superb score of A- in our short-term care area. Short-term care grades are vital for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. It doesn't look like this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The next area we scored is nursing. This nursing home received a very good nursing rating in our assessment, with a grade of B. Although this is not nearly as strong as some of its other grades, this remains one of our more favorable scores for this area. Our nursing category consists of quite a few factors, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Health Center at Bloomingdale Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 5.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 91.97% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Health Center at Bloomingdale, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.84 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.13 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Saint Clare's Hospital/ Denville CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away25 Pocono Road Denville New Jersey 07834Proprietary(973) 983-5569
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 12.1 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.51 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.13 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Davita North Haledon Dialysis7.57 miles away953 Belmont Avenue Haledon New Jersey 07508Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 427-4675
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis9.35 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Woodland Park Dialysis Center10.08 miles away1225 Mcbride Ave Suite 100 Little Falls New Jersey 07424CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 890-2394
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis10.68 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- St. Joseph's Paterson Dialysis10.74 miles away11 Getty Avenue 275 Hospital Plaza Paterson New Jersey 07503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 60 (973) 684-3490
- Davita Radburn Dialysis10.8 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis10.86 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC10.94 miles away30 Route 59 Suffern New York 10901CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (845) 357-0452