Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center is one of six available facilities located in Hayward, California. This is a good nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Hayward. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. The best part of this place's profile is its stellar inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Hayward senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection score. Its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A+. Our inspection ratings are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. We were not able to locate deficiency data for this facility. We would like to have more data for this nursing home. Without complete deficiency data, it is a challenge to fully assess the place in terms of this category.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its next best category score in the category of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in this category, which is an acceptable grade. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a middle of the pack score in the area of long-term care, where it received a C. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable total. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final area we analyzed is nursing. We gave this nursing home a D for our nursing category, rendering this the facility's worst category. There are numerous data points included in this category. Many of the criteria are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 16.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 5.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 0.47% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 3.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 5.2% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 97.22% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 3.88% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 5.47% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 5.47% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 6.21% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 93.84% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 5 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Hayward Dialysis Center1.1 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.94 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward3.26 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis3.86 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis4.02 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro5.07 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center5.1 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro6.03 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011