Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Hayward, California. We gave this facility an above average overall grade of B+. In fact, we ranked it as the fourth best nursing home in Hayward. Hayward offers a variety of nursing homes, however, we doubt you will need to visit too many others. This one is a very fine option. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ inspection grade. This is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. An A+ in this area is one of the best complements we can pay to a facility. Our inspection scores are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. We weren't able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to this facility's list of accomplishments, it also was given a top-shelf long-term care score. We gave them an impressive strong of A- in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. Nursing ratings are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care, in which this nursing home was given a B-. This ended up being this facility's least impressive area. This is nevertheless a middle of the pack score. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most meaningful for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients that are given antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. High rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 15 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Hayward Dialysis Center1.1 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.94 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward3.26 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis3.86 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis4.02 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro5.07 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center5.1 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro6.03 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011