Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Hayward, California. We gave this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all facilities in the country. Hayward offers quite a few other nursing homes, however, we question whether you will need to visit too many others. This one looks like a very fine option. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong nursing home overall, it also received A+ government inspections in recent years. Its inspections are virtually perfect. Inspection scores are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. It does not appear that we have information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was elite in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Few facilities fared better in this area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. When calculating our nursing ratings, we look at both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is short-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. While this is not as dominant as several of this facility's other scores, it is nevertheless a positive score. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that have experienced falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hayward Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 15 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Hayward Dialysis Center1.1 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.94 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward3.26 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis3.86 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis4.02 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro5.07 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center5.1 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro6.03 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011