Hayward Convalescent Hospital is in Hayward, California. The city has a multitude of options. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a well below average nursing home. We ranked this as one of the ten worst rated facilities in Hayward. In a city with many other nursing homes, you ought to be able to find an alternative. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Hayward Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Hayward Convalescent Hospital has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. This score is better than the place's overall grade. Our inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Our nursing grade assesses several factors, but the most important one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is well below average. Lastly, while this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory.
Does this page answer your questions about Hayward Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area was its long-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of C. Our long-term care grades are important for prospective residents looking for personal care. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 91.05263 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is short-term care. We gave it a C in that area. This is a fair grade in this category. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hayward Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have had a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 15 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.72 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.81 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward Dialysis Center3.02 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis3.22 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis3.46 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Hayward4.47 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro5.77 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center5.79 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro6.02 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011