Hayward Convalescent Hospital is one of six nursing homes located in Hayward, California. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. This is one of the bottom three nursing homes in Hayward. With plenty of other facilities in the city, you may simply want to look elsewhere. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hayward Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hayward senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although this place's overall score was not a highlight, it actually received a very good score in the area of inspections. We gave it a B for that area, which is one of our better grades. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with too many deficiencies flagged. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of C. Our nursing score is mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a low total compared with most facilities. Finally, although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Hayward Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in this category. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated 87.5 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be several points below what we expected. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we scored is short-term care, is this nursing home's least impressive area. We gave this facility a D in that area. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. With its score in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the figures we looked at. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hayward Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 1.55% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 1.63% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that experienced a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 1.15% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 15.19% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care residents which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 92.77% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 11.46% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 14.08% of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 14.08% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hayward Convalescent Hospital, 48.52% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 5 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.72 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.81 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward Dialysis Center3.02 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis3.22 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis3.46 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Hayward4.47 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro5.77 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center5.79 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro6.02 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011