Haym Salomon Home for the Aged is a very-large nursing home located in Brooklyn, New York. Featuring an overall score of B, this nursing home is a quality option. This is one of the top five nursing homes in the city. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Haym Salomon Home for the Aged
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2340 Cropsey Avenue,
Brooklyn NY 11214
86.75% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this place also received first-rate inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our best grades in that category, with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite insignificant. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other strengths is its first-rate long-term care grade. We gave them one of our strongest grades in that category, with a grade of A-. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 99.82964 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Haym Salomon Home for the Aged?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B- in this area. In the category of short-term care, we strive to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
The last category we looked at was nursing. We gave it a C in this category. This is not a bad grade in this category. When calculating our nursing grades, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Haym Salomon Home for the Aged Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who had a fall which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 91.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 39 other nursing homes
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Davita Dyker Heights Dialysis Center1.4 miles away1435 86th Street Brooklyn New York 11228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 256-5800
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn South1.54 miles away1845 Mcdonald Avenue Brooklyn New York 11223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-0750
- Sea Crest Acquisition LLC1.59 miles away3035 West 24th Street Brooklyn New York 11224Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 372-4500
- Davita Sheephead Bay Renal Care Center2.24 miles away26 Brighton 11th Street Brooklyn New York 11235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 743-5955
- Dci Narrows Kidney Center2.55 miles away6520 Fort Hamilton Parkway Brooklyn New York 11219CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 836-8444
- Davita Midwood Dialysis2.63 miles away1915 Ocean Avenue Dialysis Facility Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (718) 258-7700
- Dialyze Direct Ny, LLC2.64 miles away4714 16th Avenue Brooklyn New York 11204Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 506-1735
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.2.83 miles away730 64th Street Brooklyn New York 11220Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 759-0129