Haym Salomon Home for the Aged is a very-large nursing home located in Brooklyn, New York. Featuring an overall score of B, this nursing home is a quality option. We found this nursing home to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in Brooklyn, which has a city grade of B-. The best part of this facility's impressive profile is its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Haym Salomon Home for the Aged
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Brooklyn senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Not many nursing homes performed better in that area. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so well is that it received a dominant long-term care grade. In fact, long-term care ended up being its second highest category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of A. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Haym Salomon Home for the Aged?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care, where this facility was awarded a B- in this category. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most critical for individuals requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
The last category we assessed is nursing, which ended up being this nursing home's worst area. We gave this nursing home a D in this area. Of course, this score pulled down the facility's overall profile to some degree. We weighed the licensure of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses worked with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This nursing home offered a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This figure is far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Haym Salomon Home for the Aged Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 11.65% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 2.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients which have suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 0.17% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 4.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 8.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 9.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 97.67% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 11.82% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 11.06% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 11.06% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 10.88% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 87.45% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Davita Dyker Heights Dialysis Center1.4 miles away1435 86th Street Brooklyn New York 11228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 256-5800
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn South1.54 miles away1845 Mcdonald Avenue Brooklyn New York 11223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-0750
- Sea Crest Acquisition LLC1.59 miles away3035 West 24th Street Brooklyn New York 11224Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 372-4500
- Davita Sheephead Bay Renal Care Center2.24 miles away26 Brighton 11th Street Brooklyn New York 11235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 743-5955
- Dci Narrows Kidney Center2.55 miles away6520 Fort Hamilton Parkway Brooklyn New York 11219CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 836-8444
- Davita Midwood Dialysis2.63 miles away1915 Ocean Avenue Dialysis Facility Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (718) 258-7700
- Dialyze Direct Ny, LLC2.64 miles away4714 16th Avenue Brooklyn New York 11204Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 506-1735
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.2.83 miles away730 64th Street Brooklyn New York 11220Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 759-0129