Haym Salomon Home for the Aged is a very-large nursing home located in Brooklyn, New York. Featuring an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective residents. This ought to be on your short list in Brooklyn as we rated it as one of the top 10 nursing homes in the city. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Haym Salomon Home for the Aged
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially would like to point out its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to this facility's list of accomplishments, it also was given a top-shelf long-term care grade. We gave them a strong grade of A- in this category. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.82425 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Haym Salomon Home for the Aged?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was short-term care. This facility received an above average short-term care score, with a grade of B+ in the area. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be most meaningful for folks in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The final area we looked at ended up being this nursing home's worst area. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still awarded it a decent grade of C for our nursing category. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Haym Salomon Home for the Aged Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 13.6% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 91.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Haym Salomon Home for the Aged, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 39 other nursing homes
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Davita Dyker Heights Dialysis Center1.4 miles away1435 86th Street Brooklyn New York 11228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 256-5800
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn South1.54 miles away1845 Mcdonald Avenue Brooklyn New York 11223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-0750
- Sea Crest Acquisition LLC1.59 miles away3035 West 24th Street Brooklyn New York 11224Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 372-4500
- Davita Sheephead Bay Renal Care Center2.24 miles away26 Brighton 11th Street Brooklyn New York 11235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 743-5955
- Dci Narrows Kidney Center2.55 miles away6520 Fort Hamilton Parkway Brooklyn New York 11219CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 836-8444
- Davita Midwood Dialysis2.63 miles away1915 Ocean Avenue Dialysis Facility Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (718) 258-7700
- Dialyze Direct Ny, LLC2.64 miles away4714 16th Avenue Brooklyn New York 11204Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 506-1735
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.2.83 miles away730 64th Street Brooklyn New York 11220Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 759-0129