Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre is an average-sized non-profit facility located in Hawthorne, California. With an overall score of C, this is a decent facility. This place seems to have a few things working in its favor. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care grade is notably more impressive than its overall grade. It received a strong grades in that category with a B. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
We also awarded this facility a B- for our inspections rating. This is more impressive than its overall grade. Our inspection ratings are tied to many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. There are quite a few datapoints included in this grade. Many of these datapoints are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, this nursing home received a C for long-term care, which we consider to be an acceptable score. For residents seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable total. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who have suffered falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.05 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 8.22 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Davita-Airport Sunrise Dialysis Center0.46 miles away11300 Hawthorne Blvd Inglewood California 90304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (310) 680-0601
- Davita-Inglewood Dialysis1.69 miles away125 E. Arbor Vitae Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (310) 677-6114
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis1.76 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Davita-Hawthorne Dialysis1.91 miles away14204 Prairie Avenue Hawthorne California 90250CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 349-1174
- Fmc-Inglewood2.18 miles away336 E. Hillcrest Avenue, Suite 100 Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 673-3656
- Fmc-West Los Angeles2.62 miles away301 N. Prairie Avenue, Suite 100 Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 674-9640
- Fmc-Eucalyptus2.9 miles away610 N. Eucalyptus Avenue Inglewood California 90302CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 680-9101
- Fmc-Rai-Centinela-Inglewood3.42 miles away1416 Centinela Avenue Inglewood California 90302CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 673-6865