Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre is in Hawthorne, California, a city with a population of 93,193 people. This isn't a very good nursing home with a D overall grade. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Hawthorne. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Hawthorne. The city has just two other nursing homes. The best thing we can say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility well overall, we would like to note its decent government inspections in recent years. We awarded it a relatively respectable grade of B- in this category. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Nursing scores are largely based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of C. In the category of long-term care, we look at the quantity of services offered by a nursing home, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was short-term care, which turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this facility a D in this area. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 2.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which sustained falls resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from a UTI. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.05 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 8.22 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Davita-Airport Sunrise Dialysis Center0.46 miles away11300 Hawthorne Blvd Inglewood California 90304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (310) 680-0601
- Davita-Inglewood Dialysis1.69 miles away125 E. Arbor Vitae Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (310) 677-6114
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis1.76 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Davita-Hawthorne Dialysis1.91 miles away14204 Prairie Avenue Hawthorne California 90250CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 349-1174
- Fmc-Inglewood2.18 miles away336 E. Hillcrest Avenue, Suite 100 Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 673-3656
- Fmc-West Los Angeles2.62 miles away301 N. Prairie Avenue, Suite 100 Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 674-9640
- Fmc-Eucalyptus2.9 miles away610 N. Eucalyptus Avenue Inglewood California 90302CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 680-9101
- Fmc-Rai-Centinela-Inglewood3.42 miles away1416 Centinela Avenue Inglewood California 90302CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 673-6865