Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre is an average-sized non-profit facility located in Hawthorne, California. This is not a bad nursing home with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Hawthorne. This facility has some things working in its favor. This place didn't excel in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Hawthorne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's best category grade came in the area of government inspections. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This facility's second best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. Our nursing grade is largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is well below average. Lastly, although this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third best category ended up being long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. Our long-term care grade assesses a facility's assistance with daily living instead of the skilled therapy and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is higher than most nursing homes. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was short-term care, which is this facility's worst area. We gave this nursing home a D in that category. In determining our short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Considering its poor grade in this category, we were not surprised to learn that this facility offered significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. The final item we considered in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.3 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 0.75% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 0.82% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 8.73% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.23% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.45% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients showing signs of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 99.3% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.19% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.03% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.03% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.88% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.68% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.05 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 8.22 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Davita-Airport Sunrise Dialysis Center0.46 miles away11300 Hawthorne Blvd Inglewood California 90304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (310) 680-0601
- Davita-Inglewood Dialysis1.69 miles away125 E. Arbor Vitae Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (310) 677-6114
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis1.76 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Davita-Hawthorne Dialysis1.91 miles away14204 Prairie Avenue Hawthorne California 90250CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 349-1174
- Fmc-Inglewood2.18 miles away336 E. Hillcrest Avenue, Suite 100 Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 673-3656
- Fmc-West Los Angeles2.62 miles away301 N. Prairie Avenue, Suite 100 Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 674-9640
- Fmc-Eucalyptus2.9 miles away610 N. Eucalyptus Avenue Inglewood California 90302CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 680-9101
- Fmc-Rai-Centinela-Inglewood3.42 miles away1416 Centinela Avenue Inglewood California 90302CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 673-6865