Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Sarasota, Florida. This facility received an excellent grade of A- overall. This is higher than the city grade of B+ in Sarasota, which is also well above average. Based on our ratings, this facility is really as good as it gets. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall rating, this nursing home excelled in inspections, which is based on its inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A in this category. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area generally have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its dominant assessments in other areas, we gave this nursing home a score of A for its short-term care score. In determining our short-term care ratings, we size up a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a solid measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. In this area, we awarded this facility a solid grade of B-. This is this facility's least impressive area. Our long-term care scores are pivotal for residents seeking non-healthcare services such as personal care. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 2.43% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 94.61% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 22 other nursing homes
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 19.99 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center1.22 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis1.78 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Manasota Dialysis2.11 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center5.31 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Us Renal Care Sarasota6.11 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails7.39 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Southwest Florida Dialysis Center9.63 miles away520 Manatee Ave East Bradenton Florida 34208Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 747-5500
- Bradenton Dialysis9.84 miles away3501 Cortez Rd W Bradenton Florida 34210Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 727-4209