Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota is an average-sized nursing home located in Sarasota, Florida. With an overall rating of A, this nursing home is ranked among the highest graded facilities in Sarasota. This truly is an impressive accomplishment given that the city has plenty of very good facilities. Based on our ratings, this nursing home is just about as as good as it gets. Scroll down to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good. It's hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Sarasota senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our third category, this nursing home was given a strong short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a score of A in that category. Our short-term care grades are arguably more critical for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In the last area, we gave this facility a A for our nursing score. This completed a very strong report card. Our nursing grade consists of several factors, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 3.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 6.76% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 4.69% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 17.44% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 12.79% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 4.23% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 100% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 16.93% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 16.56% of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 16.56% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 13.59% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hawthorne Health and Rehab of Sarasota, 75.02% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 10 other nursing homes
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 19.99 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center1.22 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis1.78 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Manasota Dialysis2.11 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center5.31 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Us Renal Care Sarasota6.11 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails7.39 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Southwest Florida Dialysis Center9.63 miles away520 Manatee Ave East Bradenton Florida 34208Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 747-5500
- Bradenton Dialysis9.84 miles away3501 Cortez Rd W Bradenton Florida 34210Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 727-4209