Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center is a small nursing home located in Middletown, Ohio. This is a lower end facility, with an overall grade of D. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Middletown, which is also well below average. The best thing we can really say about this place is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Middletown senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this place overall, we awarded it a B for our inspections category. This score is far better than the nursing home's overall score. Our inspection ratings are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
We also gave this facility favorable marks in the area of nursing care, where it received a grade of B. Nursing scores are primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its short-term care rating, which is not a score to write home about. In computing our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. With a grade in this range in this area, we weren't surprised to learn this nursing home was well below average in two of the key staffing areas we looked at. The facility offered significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The last metric we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is long-term care, which was a weak link for this facility. We awarded this nursing home a D in the area of long-term care. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. One of the data points we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 45.128204 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 2.9% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 2.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients who suffered a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 0.52% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients which have had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 17.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 39.41% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 2.89% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 70.76% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 20.96% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 16.47% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' well-being.
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 16.47% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 18.78% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hawthorn Glen Nursing Center, 77.01% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Middletown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Middletown, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- West Chester Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away7700 University Drive West Chester Ohio 45069Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 298-7700
- Fort Hamilton Hughes Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away630 Eaton Avenue Hamilton Ohio 45013Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 867-2000
- Mercy Health - Fairfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away3000 Mack Road Fairfield Ohio 45014Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 870-7197
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 11 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 13.34 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Mccullough-Hyde Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.14 miles away110 North Poplar Street Oxford Ohio 45056Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 524-5640
- Sycamore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.47 miles away4000 Miamisburg-Centerville Road Miamisburg Ohio 45342Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 384-8776
- Mercy Health - West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.49 miles away3300 Mercy Health Blvd Cincinnati Ohio 45211Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 215-5000
- Davita - Butler County Home Training Dialysis5.86 miles away7335 Yankee Rd. Suite 101a Middletown Ohio 45044Dialysis Stations: 2 (513) 755-2524
- Dci - Westchester6.18 miles away7650 Wellness Way West Chester Ohio 45069Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 777-0855
- Davita - Atrium6.44 miles away4421 Roosevelt Blvd Ste D Middletown Ohio 45044Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 422-6879
- Davita - West Chester Dialysis6.52 miles away7760 W. Voice of American Park Drive Suite E West Chester Ohio 45069Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 755-1510
- Davita - Butler County Dialysis6.9 miles away3497 South Dixie Hwy Franklin Ohio 45005CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 422-1467
- Fmc - Butler County LLC7.13 miles away3090 Mcbride Court, Ste. A Hamilton Ohio 45011Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 895-7300
- Davita - West Hamilton Dialysis7.39 miles away1532 Main Street Hamilton Ohio 45013Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 737-0158
- Davita - Fairfield Dialysis8.14 miles away1210 Hicks Blvd Fairfield Ohio 45014Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 939-1110