Haven Manor Health Care Center is one of six nursing homes in Far Rockaway, New York. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this is a solid facility. Based on our assessment, this facility ought to be a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Haven Manor Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Far Rockaway senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of A. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Our inspection ratings are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to point out that this facility received a great long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it one of our highest grades in that area with a score of A-. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 94.74474 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Haven Manor Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility an F. This is not nearly as strong as a few of its other category scores. Candidly, this is a very bad grade. Our short-term care scores are believed to be most important for people needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we discovered that this nursing home provides fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
Turning to the final category, this facility didn't fare well. Due to a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is this nursing home's worst category grade. In computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses spend with patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided only 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Haven Manor Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffer from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term care patients which experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 90.38% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of F
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.21 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.72 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.2 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.24 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.28 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.13 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.02 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.05 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.17 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center5.78 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600