Haven Manor Health Care Center is one of 11 nursing homes in Far Rockaway, New York. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this is a solid facility. Based on our assessment, this facility ought to be a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Haven Manor Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1441 Gateway Boulevard,
Far Rockaway NY 11691
67.25% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of A+. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Our inspection ratings are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to point out that this facility received a great long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it one of our highest grades in that area with a score of A. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.961426 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Haven Manor Health Care Center?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing grade. We gave this nursing home a grade of D. The nursing rating weighs a handful of factors, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This facility provided a meager 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these datapoints to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final category, this facility did not perform very well. Due to a very poor grade of F in short-term care, this was its poorest area. In forming these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. We found that this facility was subpar in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the data we looked at. The last item we assessed in this area is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Haven Manor Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents who sustained a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have had a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that are given antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is important for residents' well-being.
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Haven Manor Health Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.21 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.72 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.2 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.24 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.28 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.13 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.02 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.05 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.17 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center5.78 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600