Haven Convalescent Home is in New Castle, Pennsylvania, a city with 55,245 people. This is a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. This facility seems to have some things working in its favor. The best part of this place's report card was its stellar inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Haven Convalescent Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
725 Paul Street,
New Castle PA 16101
98.24% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades came in the category of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a deadly illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Haven Convalescent Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The third most favorable area we gave this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. With our short-term care rating, we seek to forge a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
The next area we assessed is nursing, proved to be this nursing home's least impressive area. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in that area. This really is one of the few weak points of an otherwise impressive profile. We assessed the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses spent with residents, in computing our score in this area. This nursing home averages 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is below the national average. In addition to receiving below average scores for nursing hours, this place was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in determining our nursing scores. We looked at the percent of residents suffering pressure ulcers and found that this facility was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this metric. This is a bad sign when you consider that so many bed sores are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. This statistic really pulled down this facility's nursing rating substantially.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Haven Convalescent Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Haven Convalescent Home, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Haven Convalescent Home, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have had falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Haven Convalescent Home, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients which have experienced a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Haven Convalescent Home, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Haven Convalescent Home, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Haven Convalescent Home, 3.38% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Haven Convalescent Home, 89.35% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Haven Convalescent Home, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Haven Convalescent Home, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to patients well-being.
In Haven Convalescent Home, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Haven Convalescent Home, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Scores for New Castle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? New Castle, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.97 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Grove City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away631 North Broad Street Ext. Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 450-7000
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 18.74 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.86 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 19.6 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- New Castle Dialysis Center1.05 miles away100 South Jefferson Street, Suite 187 New Castle Pennsylvania 16101Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 652-2585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle1.58 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ellwood City8.86 miles away1407 Woodside Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 9 (724) 758-3446
- Total Renal Care, Inc.9.5 miles away807 Lawrence Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 5 (724) 752-1081
- Liberty Dialysis - Chippewa15.34 miles away100 Pappan Business Drive Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (724) 846-5030
- Dci of Beaver Falls / Chippewa15.39 miles away2562 Constitution Boulevard Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 891-5044
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC15.78 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.16.08 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995