Haven Convalescent Home is a nursing home in New Castle, Pennsylvania, which has a population of 55,245 people. Featuring an overall score of B, this looks like a very respectable facility. The facilities in New Castle received high scores across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the best places in Pennsylvania to find a nursing home. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Haven Convalescent Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave them an A+ in this area. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a strong long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it an above average score of B+ in this area. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a life or death illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Haven Convalescent Home?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the area of short-term care, where it received a grade of B-. In calculating our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is typically a fair assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The next category we analyzed is nursing. We awarded this facility a D for our nursing category, leaving this as the facility's least impressive category grade. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we assess the amount of time nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This place provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Haven Convalescent Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Haven Convalescent Home, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Haven Convalescent Home, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Haven Convalescent Home, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Haven Convalescent Home, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Haven Convalescent Home, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Haven Convalescent Home, 3.12% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Haven Convalescent Home, 88.22% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Haven Convalescent Home, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Haven Convalescent Home, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that mobility is important for patients health.
In Haven Convalescent Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Haven Convalescent Home, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Scores for New Castle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Castle, Pennsylvania has 5 other nursing homes
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.97 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Grove City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away631 North Broad Street Ext. Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 450-7000
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 18.74 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.86 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 19.6 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- New Castle Dialysis Center1.05 miles away100 South Jefferson Street, Suite 187 New Castle Pennsylvania 16101Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 652-2585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle1.58 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ellwood City8.86 miles away1407 Woodside Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 9 (724) 758-3446
- Total Renal Care, Inc.9.5 miles away807 Lawrence Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 5 (724) 752-1081
- Liberty Dialysis - Chippewa15.34 miles away100 Pappan Business Drive Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (724) 846-5030
- Dci of Beaver Falls / Chippewa15.39 miles away2562 Constitution Boulevard Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 891-5044
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC15.78 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.16.08 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995