Hattie Ide Chaffee Home is one of only three nursing homes located in East Providence, Rhode Island. Sporting an overall score of A-, this facility is one of the higher-rated nursing homes we looked at. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the nation. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its nursing rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hattie Ide Chaffee Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on East Providence senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in East Providence, Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in East Providence, Rhode Island Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In this category, we gave this nursing home an A. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This nursing home has earned near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. Our inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Hattie Ide Chaffee Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was elite in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A. Very few facilities performed better in this category. In calculating our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this category is the number of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was long-term care, where this facility received a grade of B-. This actually was this facility's worst area. This is nevertheless not a major area of concern. Long-term care grades are often used to grade a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 90.74074 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is quite a few points lower than what we were hoping for. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hattie Ide Chaffee Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term patients that have sustained a fall which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 2.02% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 93.99% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 16.08% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 13.94 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 77.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 0.61 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.11 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence1.32 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.59 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Providence3.41 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence4.34 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Nna - Pawtucket5.51 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket5.88 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- Davita North Providence Renal Center6.77 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340