Hattie Ide Chaffee Home is a small non-profit nursing home located in East Providence, Rhode Island. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is a strong grade. We ranked this facility in the top 50 facilities in Rhode Island. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section
Hattie Ide Chaffee Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
200 Wampanoag Trail,
East Providence RI 02914
87.66% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this nursing home also received an elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A. When calculating our nursing ratings, we analyze both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
We also want to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless government inspections recently. We awarded them an A in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Hattie Ide Chaffee Home?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care grade. Short-term care scores are meaningful for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. One of this nursing home's strength is that it offers more hours of care from registered nurses to its residents. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. It outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the country in this area with 60.4 percent of its residents returning home. This is a significantly better rate than most facilities.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst category was long-term care, which is the last area we analyzed. For this area, we gave this facility a grade of D. We want to to draw your attention to this possible weak spot, but you should not over-emphasize a single category either. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 94.117645 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.46 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hattie Ide Chaffee Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 7.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 3.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 2.93% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 16.51% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 14.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 2.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 95.31% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 22.91% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 1.19 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 22.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 10.73 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hattie Ide Chaffee Home, 79.33% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for East Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? East Providence, Rhode Island has 3 other nursing homes
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 0.61 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.11 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence1.32 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.59 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Providence3.41 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence4.34 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Nna - Pawtucket5.51 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket5.88 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- Davita North Providence Renal Center6.77 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340