With an address in Danvers, Massachusetts, Hathorne Hill is one of five nursing homes in the city. Sporting an overall rating of A, we deemed this nursing home to be the very best facility in Danvers. An overall score in this range is a good indication of a superb facility. We couldn't find many bad things to say about this place. Its ratings are just impeccable. Headlining this place's exemplary profile is its short-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
14 Kirkbride Drive,
Danvers MA 01923
90.66% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care rating. In our short-term care category, we strive to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is physical therapy hours. We found that it offers more hours with physical therapists to its residents than most facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this facility. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy hours, we found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home with 70.2 percent of its residents returning home.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing grade is largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides an impressive 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Finally, this place also excelled in the quality-based metrics we looked at. For example, it fared as well as any facility the nation in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We view these metrics as predictive measures of the caliber of nursing care being provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Hathorne Hill?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we were able to find information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Without all of the information regarding deficiencies for this nursing home, it was challenging to assess it in the inspections category.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth area we assessed is long-term care, where this facility was awarded a B+. This rounded out an elite report card. Only a select few nursing homes earned a B+ or higher in each of our categories. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 96.51568 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.33 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hathorne Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hathorne Hill, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hathorne Hill, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hathorne Hill, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hathorne Hill, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents which are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hathorne Hill, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hathorne Hill, 1.96% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hathorne Hill, 91.59% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hathorne Hill, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hathorne Hill, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Hathorne Hill, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hathorne Hill, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hathorne Hill, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hathorne Hill, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Danvers, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Danvers, Massachusetts has 4 other nursing homes
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.86 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 16.27 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers1.51 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350
- Peabody Dialysis Center4.36 miles away19-a Centennial Drive Peabody Massachusetts 01960CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 532-7663
- North Shore Regional Dialysis Center4.84 miles away133 Brimbal Ave Unit E Beverly Massachusetts 01915CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 921-2052
- Davita Salem Northeast Dialysis6.12 miles away207 Highland Ave Suite 2 Salem Massachusetts 01970CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 744-2075
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)8.45 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fmc Services of Stoneham8.74 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home11.63 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Davita Woburn Dialysis11.95 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700