Hartwyck at Oak Tree is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Edison, New Jersey. We think highly of this facility, which we gave a B+ overall. We were also impressed with the city grade of facilities in Edison, making this a great place to find a nursing home. This facility truly has plenty working in its favor. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Hartwyck at Oak Tree
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a dominant short-term care grade. Indeed, short-term care turned out to be its second most impressive category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A-. In computing these short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hartwyck at Oak Tree?
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also was awarded favorable long-term care scores this year. Indeed, we gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.324326 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The next category we analyzed is nursing, which was a weak spot for this facility. We awarded this facility a grade of D in our nursing category, rendering this the nursing home's least impressive grade. We would still suggest that you consider all of a facility's category grades. In computing a facility's nursing rating, we weigh the number of hours nurses are caring for patients as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This place averaged just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hartwyck at Oak Tree Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 5.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 92% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels. Some argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hartwyck at Oak Tree, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Edison, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Edison, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 11.61 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Fmc Edison0.85 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Dva Edison1.31 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis2.46 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Davita Durham Corners2.6 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center2.78 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Fmc So Plainfield3.07 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr3.64 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333
- Davita Woodbridge Dialysis Center4.3 miles away541 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 750-0639