Harrison Terrace is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Indianapolis, Indiana. This nursing home was given an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. This facility does not seem to have much going for it. We were surprisingly able to give this nursing home some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it performed well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B for that area, which is one of our better scores. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid nursing homes that have too many severe deficiencies. This place was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care score and that actually wound up as its second best score. With our short-term care category, we seek to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Based on its score in this category, we weren't stunned to find that this place is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Harrison Terrace?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only received a D for its long-term care rating, which is not a score to write home about. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home administered the vaccine to just 79.31035 percent of its patients, which is well below average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
The last area we rated is nursing, where this nursing home was given an abysmal score in this category also. We gave it an F for this category, which is definitely a major disappointment. Our nursing score considers many subcategories. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This place provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harrison Terrace Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harrison Terrace, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harrison Terrace, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harrison Terrace, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harrison Terrace, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harrison Terrace, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harrison Terrace, 12.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harrison Terrace, 91.56% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harrison Terrace, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harrison Terrace, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Harrison Terrace, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harrison Terrace, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 2.36 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Fmc - Irvington0.83 miles away1740 Industry Drive Suite A Indianapolis Indiana 46219Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 353-8207
- Fmc - Indianapolis-East1.08 miles away6701 E. 21st Street Indianapolis Indiana 46219CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (317) 358-1037
- Davita - Indy East1.83 miles away1208 N Arlington Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 353-6315
- Fmc-Indianapolis Northeast4.27 miles away9140 Harrison Park Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46216Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 543-5128
- Fmc-Indianapolis Midtown5.56 miles away3007 Dr Andrew J Brown Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 924-8104
- Fmc - Shadeland Station6.26 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401
- Davita Fall Creek6.36 miles away3820 N College Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 926-5125
- Davita - Marion County6.39 miles away3834 South Emerson Avenue Building B Indianapolis Indiana 46203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 787-3171