Harbor Post Acute Care Center is a nursing home located in Torrance, California. The city has 174,353 people. This is a decent facility with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Torrance. This nursing home seems to have a few things working in its favor. We were also pleased to find that this place was consistent in all of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Harbor Post Acute Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
21521 S. Vermont Avenue,
Torrance CA 90502
81.96% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a nursing score which is stronger than its overall grade. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this area. In determining a facility's nursing grade, we consider the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This facility also received a strong inspection score. Inspection grades are based on the nursing home's recent health inspections. We gave this nursing home a B in this area. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Harbor Post Acute Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a solid grade of B-. In computing our short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. It doesn't look like this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final measure we looked at in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home was given a B- for the category. Our long-term care ratings are meaningful for individuals requiring personal care. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harbor Post Acute Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents that had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harbor Post Acute Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 3.41 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.3 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 11.38 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Harbor Ucla0.01 miles away21602 S. Vermont Avenue Torrance California 90502CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (310) 533-0413
- Davita-Carson Dialysis0.84 miles away1309 E. Carson Street Carson California 90745CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 513-1427
- u.s. Renal Care Carson Dialysis1.87 miles away930 East Dominguez Street, Suite A Carson California 90746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 532-5100
- Fmc-Carson1.96 miles away20710 S. Leapwood Avenue, Suite F Carson California 90746Dialysis Stations: 11 (310) 323-8997
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - 190th2.31 miles away1149 W. 190th Street, Suite 1004 Gardena California 90248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 965-0830
- Fmc-South Bay Home Therapy2.91 miles away1223 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710Dialysis Stations: 6 (310) 325-0416
- Fmc-South Bay2.95 miles away1221 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 539-1221
- u.s. Renal Care Lomita Dialysis3.1 miles away1830 Lomita Blvd. Lomita California 90717CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 530-7796