Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home in Hingham, Massachusetts. We gave this facility an A overall grade, ranking it in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the country. Based on our assessment, this nursing home should be a no brainer for just about anybody. Finally, this appears to be a very consistent nursing home with consistent scores in all four of our categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
11 Condito Road,
Hingham MA 02043
92.95% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Hingham, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this nursing home was given an elite grade of A in our short-term care area. Short-term care ratings are important for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, this nursing home was given an excellent long-term care grade. In fact, it received a score of A- in that area. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the last category, we awarded this facility an A+ for our nursing score. This rounded out an elite profile. When computing our nursing ratings, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning patients more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.39% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harbor House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.09 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 11.17 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 11.49 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Quality Care Dialysis Center3.9 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis4.06 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility4.46 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis4.61 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Quincy6.9 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)8.17 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)9.82 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Boston Dialysis10.07 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000