Hannah Duston Healthcare Center is one of seven available nursing homes located in Haverhill, Massachusetts. This facility was given an overall score of B+. Indeed, this is one of the three highest graded facilities in Haverhill. Based on our analysis, this facility looks like a good fit for most people. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good. It would be hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Hannah Duston Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality facility is that it earned a very impressive short-term care rating. In fact, this turned out to be its best category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B+. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Adding to its impressive profile, this nursing home also performed at a high level in the category of inspections. In fact, it earned a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an B+. Inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about Hannah Duston Healthcare Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing rating assesses quite a few components, but the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+ for our long-term care rating. This topped off a very favorable report card. For patients looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 92.02279 percent of its patients. This is a bit below what we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hannah Duston Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that suffered falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 1.93% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 91.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' well-being.
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Haverhill, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Haverhill, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.15 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.05 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.39 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Exeter Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 16.39 miles away5 Alumni Drive Exeter New Hampshire 03833Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 778-7311
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.8 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.78 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 19.13 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen2.91 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley4 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home5.76 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc6.91 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC7.04 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fmc of Newburyport11.64 miles away260 Merrimac Street Towle Building Newburyport Massachusetts 01950CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 465-7030
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell13.97 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry16.24 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517