Hale Ola Kino is a small facility in Honolulu, Hawaii. We awarded this nursing home a very strong overall score of A+. Consequently, it is one of the highest graded facilities in Honolulu, which is one of the most promising areas in the state when it comes to nursing home ratings. Honolulu features a host of other nursing homes, but it is unlikely you will need to check out too many others. This one looks like a very fine option. Keep reading to find this place's category ratings, which are equally impressive. You just can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Hale Ola Kino
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ short-term care grade. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To have quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home also earned an A+ inspection score, making it one of the rare places to receive multiple A+'s in our category grades. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. We were not able to locate information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Hale Ola Kino?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was long-term care. This facility was superb in our long-term care category also. We gave them an elite score of A+ in this area. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the final category, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for our nursing grade. This wrapped up an elite profile. We looked at the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses spent with patients, in determining our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hale Ola Kino Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hale Ola Kino, 5.65% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hale Ola Kino, 2.15% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hale Ola Kino, 2.54% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hale Ola Kino, 8.93% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hale Ola Kino, 7.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hale Ola Kino, 1.47% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hale Ola Kino, 97.19% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hale Ola Kino, 11.27% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hale Ola Kino, 21.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hale Ola Kino, 21.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hale Ola Kino, 7.15 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hale Ola Kino, 75.81% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Honolulu, HI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Honolulu, Hawaii has 18 other nursing homes
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & ChildrenChildrens 0.18 miles away1319 Punahou Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 983-6000
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.94 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- Adventist Health CastleAcute Care Hospitals 6.91 miles away640 Ulukahiki St Kailua Hawaii 96734Voluntary non-profit - Church(808) 263-5500
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.75 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Us Renal Care Beretania Dialysis0.43 miles away1908 South Beretania Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Dialysis Stations: 17 (808) 947-2797
- Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii Ala Moana1.71 miles away500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 7302 Honolulu Hawaii 96813Dialysis Stations: 3 (808) 566-6388
- Dsi Kapahulu Dialysis Center2.06 miles away750 Palani Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 732-7702
- Dsi Honolulu Dialysis Center2.16 miles away226 N. Kuakini St Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 54 (808) 545-3933
- Dsi Aloha Dialysis Center2.43 miles away1520 Liliha Street, Suite 101 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 531-1748
- Siemsen Dialysis Facility2.52 miles away2226 Liliha Street Suite 226 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 74 (808) 585-4660
- Kaimuki Dialysis2.99 miles away3625 Harding Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 735-2585
- Dsi - Windward Dialysis Center7.06 miles away45-480 Kaneohe Bay Drive #d09 Kaneohe Hawaii 96744CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 235-0885