Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is in Honolulu, Hawaii, which is one of the largest cities in the country. This facility was given an A- overall, which is one of our better grades. Based on our assessment, this nursing home is just about as as good as it gets. As you will see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category scores. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1677 Pensacola Street,
Honolulu HI 96822
91.18% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this facility an A+ for its short-term care score. In determining our short-term care ratings, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is frequently a reliable assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6.9 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing grades are mostly based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Moving on to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections proved to be one of its best grades. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care, in which this facility was awarded a B. This actually is this facility's worst category. A nursing home could be doing a lot worse when their worst score still is superior to most nursing homes. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96.10215 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 5.33% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.13% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.68% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.16% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 7.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.5% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 97.18% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.05% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 19.95% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 0.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 19.95 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 6.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 78.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Honolulu, HI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Honolulu, Hawaii has 18 other nursing homes
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & ChildrenChildrens 0.75 miles away1319 Punahou Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 983-6000
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.56 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.22 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- Adventist Health CastleAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away640 Ulukahiki St Kailua Hawaii 96734Voluntary non-profit - Church(808) 263-5500
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Us Renal Care Beretania Dialysis1.1 miles away1908 South Beretania Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Dialysis Stations: 17 (808) 947-2797
- Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii Ala Moana1.43 miles away500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 7302 Honolulu Hawaii 96813Dialysis Stations: 3 (808) 566-6388
- Dsi Honolulu Dialysis Center1.44 miles away226 N. Kuakini St Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 54 (808) 545-3933
- Dsi Aloha Dialysis Center1.75 miles away1520 Liliha Street, Suite 101 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 531-1748
- Siemsen Dialysis Facility1.76 miles away2226 Liliha Street Suite 226 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 74 (808) 585-4660
- Dsi Kapahulu Dialysis Center2.76 miles away750 Palani Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 732-7702
- Kaimuki Dialysis3.63 miles away3625 Harding Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 735-2585
- Dsi - Windward Dialysis Center6.46 miles away45-480 Kaneohe Bay Drive #d09 Kaneohe Hawaii 96744CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 235-0885