Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center is an average-sized hospital-based facility in Lawrenceville, Georgia. This nursing home is an A+ rated facility, which is our very best rating. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as one of the top 50 nursing homes in the United States. Headlining this facility's exemplary report card is its inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Lawrenceville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Lawrenceville, Georgia Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Lawrenceville, Georgia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place ended up being a quality nursing home is it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is just about as good as it gets in this critical area. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. The nursing score features several subcategories. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This facility provided 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strength for this nursing home was short-term care, where it was given an A+ score. This is just about as strong as it gets in this category. In computing our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of A. This topped off a first-rate profile. Very few facilities received an A- or better in every category. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 10.15% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 3.2% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 18.35% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 20.07% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 4.8% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 94.56% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 16.73% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 17.19% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 17.19 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 11.58 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northside Gwinnett Extended Care Center, 68.99% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Northside Hospital GwinnettAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away1000 Medical Center Boulevard Lawrenceville Georgia 30045Government - Hospital District or Authority(678) 312-1000
- Eastside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away1700 Medical Way Snellville Georgia 30078Proprietary(770) 736-2498
- Emory Johns Creek HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.64 miles away6325 Hospital Parkway Duluth Georgia 30097Proprietary(678) 474-7000
- Northside Hospital ForsythAcute Care Hospitals 16.44 miles away1200 Northside Forsyth Drive Cumming Georgia 30041Voluntary non-profit - Private(770) 844-3200
- Peachford Behavioral Health System of AtlantaPsychiatric 16.55 miles away2151 Peachford Road Atlanta Georgia 30338Proprietary(770) 455-3200
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center BarrowAcute Care Hospitals 17.96 miles away316 North Broad Street Winder Georgia 30680Proprietary(770) 848-8611
- Wellstar North Fulton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.87 miles away3000 Hospital Boulevard Roswell Georgia 30076Proprietary(770) 751-2500
- Piedmont Walton Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 18.88 miles away2151 W Spring Street Monroe Georgia 30655Proprietary(770) 267-8461
- Rcg Lawrenceville0.66 miles away350 Philip Blvd Nw Lawrenceville Georgia 30045Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 237-0013
- Sugarloaf Dialysis1.54 miles away1705 Belle Meade Ct Ste 110 Lawrenceville Georgia 30043CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (770) 513-2833
- Dsi Snellville, LLC1.54 miles away3370 Sugar Loaf Parkway Suite a-1 Lawrenceville Georgia 30044Dialysis Stations: 13 (770) 225-0827
- Nephron Corporation2.38 miles away605 Old Norcross Road Lawrenceville Georgia 30045Dialysis Stations: 21 (770) 513-0927
- Fms Lawrenceville4.08 miles away1115 Herrington Road Lawrenceville Georgia 30044CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 962-3546
- North Gwinnett Dialysis4.7 miles away185 Old Peachtree Road Nw Suwanee Georgia 30024Dialysis Stations: 20 (678) 714-4941
- Bio-Medical Applications of Georgia, Inc.6.93 miles away3441 Fence Road Dacula Georgia 30019Dialysis Stations: 21 (770) 277-7313
- Davita Snellville Dialysis7.18 miles away2135 Main Street East Suite 130 Snellville Georgia 30078CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (770) 979-3117