Gulfport Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Saint Petersburg, Florida. With an overall grade of B, this looks like a very respectable nursing home. Even in a city of 27 nursing homes, this facility turns out to be a sound choice. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Gulfport Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this place excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an B+. In computing a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are with patients and the levels of training of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Gulfport Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our stronger scores in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B. With our short-term care category, we strive to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we considered in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored is long-term care. This nursing home was given a grade of B- in the area. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 94.37751 percent of its residents, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gulfport Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who had a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have suffered from UTI's. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 2.43% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 94.61% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gulfport Rehabilitation Center, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 5.96 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 6.01 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.01 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Pinellas West Shore Dialysis2.54 miles away3451 66th Street N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Dialysis Stations: 12 (727) 345-8389
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg3.68 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg South Dialysis3.74 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South3.89 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279
- St Petersburg Dialysis5.54 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg Kidney Care5.83 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis5.93 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- Seminole Dialysis Center5.97 miles away6450 Seminole Blvd Seminole Florida 33772Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 393-5551