Gulf Shore Care Center is one of only three facilities in Pinellas Park, Florida. This is a very respectable nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable score. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Pinellas Park. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Gulf Shore Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Pinellas Park, Florida Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall performance, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for the area of inspections. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's impressive category scores came in the category of short-term care. We gave them one of our stronger grades in that category, with a grade of B+. Our short-term care grades are vital for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Gulf Shore Care Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the amount of time nurses spend with residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this facility received an acceptable long-term care score of B-. With our long-term care rating, we weigh the amount of care offered by a nursing home, along with a series of qualitative measures. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gulf Shore Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gulf Shore Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 8 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Rai Care Centers - Largo2.56 miles away12505 Starkey Rd Suite B Largo Florida 33773Dialysis Stations: 21 (727) 531-8227
- Fmc - Pinellas Park2.76 miles away7910 Us Hwy 19n Pinellas Park Florida 33781CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (727) 544-5916
- Lake Seminole Dialysis3.57 miles away10799 Park Blvd North Seminole Florida 33772Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 319-0180
- Seminole Dialysis Center3.69 miles away6450 Seminole Blvd Seminole Florida 33772Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 393-5551
- Pinellas West Shore Dialysis4.11 miles away3451 66th Street N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Dialysis Stations: 12 (727) 345-8389
- Bay Breeze Dialysis Clinic Inc4.3 miles away11550 Ulmerton Rd Largo Florida 33778CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 584-4047
- St Petersburg South Dialysis6.35 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg6.66 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527