Grove of St Charles is located in Saint Charles, Illinois, a city with 56,316 people. This facility is a well below average nursing home. A score in this range indicates we found a few red flags. This wasn't the worse facility we looked at, however, we'd still be very reluctant to recommend it. The best thing we can really say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Grove of St Charles
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
611 Allen Lane,
Saint Charles IL 60174
66.75% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Grove of St Charles has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to point out its decent grade of B- in the category of nursing. The nursing category is based on several subcategories, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This place averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
The second highest area we gave this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In calculating these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Grove of St Charles?
This facility earned slightly below average government inspections in recent years. We awarded them a C in this category. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was hit with 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care, which turned out to be this nursing home's weakest area. We gave this facility a grade of D in this category. For residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.6711 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grove of St Charles Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grove of St Charles, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grove of St Charles, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients which experienced a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grove of St Charles, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents who have experienced urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grove of St Charles, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grove of St Charles, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grove of St Charles, 30.45% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grove of St Charles, 87.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grove of St Charles, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grove of St Charles, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Grove of St Charles, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grove of St Charles, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grove of St Charles, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grove of St Charles, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.43 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Presence Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away1325 N Highland Avenue Aurora Illinois 60506Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 859-2222
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 9.86 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.23 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Rush Copley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.75 miles away2000 Ogden Avenue Aurora Illinois 60504Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 978-6200
- Tri Cities Dialysis LLC3 miles away306 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (630) 262-1306
- Fmc - West Batavia4.76 miles away2580 West Fabyan Parkway Batavia Illinois 60510Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 406-1690
- Fkc - Elgin5.03 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Fmc - West Chicago Dialysis Center5.26 miles away1859 Neltnor Blvd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 293-5952
- Fmc - Dupage West7.02 miles away450 E Roosevelt Rd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 16 (630) 293-6356
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis8.72 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin9.04 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis9.09 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386