Grossmont Post Acute Care is located in La Mesa, California. The city has 69,848 people. This proved to be a grade A facility, which is a truly elite grade. Based on our analysis, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. This nursing home was also given impressive scores in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Grossmont Post Acute Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on La Mesa senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When calculating our nursing grades, we look at both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few nursing homes to be given multiple A+ category scores. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to score a facility's rehabilitation services. To provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Grossmont Post Acute Care?
Another impressive feature of this nursing home is its inspection score. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a score of A. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor dings aren't something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care. In this area, we awarded this facility a favorable grade of B. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grossmont Post Acute Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term care residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that have suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate erosion of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.15 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.59 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center0.69 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon2.73 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Davita-College Dialysis3.24 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College3.37 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Balboa East County4.47 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego4.95 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise6.67 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East6.71 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225