Grossmont Post Acute Care is located in La Mesa, California. The city has 69,848 people. This proved to be a grade A facility, which is a truly elite grade. Based on our analysis, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. This nursing home was also given impressive scores in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Grossmont Post Acute Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When calculating our nursing grades, we look at both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few nursing homes to be given multiple A+ category scores. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to score a facility's rehabilitation services. To provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Grossmont Post Acute Care?
Another impressive feature of this nursing home is its inspection score. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a score of A. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor dings aren't something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final area, this nursing home also was given a very strong long-term care rating, with a grade of B+. This wrapped up an elite profile. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grossmont Post Acute Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from a urinary tract infection. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grossmont Post Acute Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for La Mesa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? La Mesa, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.15 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.59 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center0.69 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon2.73 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Davita-College Dialysis3.24 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College3.37 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Balboa East County4.47 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego4.95 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise6.67 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East6.71 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225