Grimes Center - New Haven is an average-sized non-profit facility in New Haven, Connecticut. After receiving an A overall grade, this facility has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 100 best facilities in Connecticut. This is an impressive feat in a state with a long list of elite facilities. You flat out can not do much better than this place. This facility also received consistently good grades in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Grimes Center - New Haven
- Nursing Home
Updated Jan 10, 2019 by Nick Reese
1354 Chapel St,
New Haven CT 06511
89.56% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Data for Grimes Center - New Haven has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Connecticut Awards 2019
To pair with its excellent overall score, we awarded this facility an A for our nursing rating. Our nursing grade focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning residents even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a very strong short-term care score. In fact, this is this facility's second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A. Our short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Grimes Center - New Haven?
Tallying yet another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it received an A. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B. While this is not on par with some of its other scores, it is still a fine grade. For patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. One of the data points we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. It doesn't appear that this facility submitted information on its vaccination levels. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
- Yale-New Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.5 miles away20 York St New Haven Connecticut 06504Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 688-4242
- Griffin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away130 Division St Derby Connecticut 06418Voluntary non-profit - Other(203) 732-7500
- Milford Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away300 Seaside Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 876-4000
- Bridgeport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.5 miles away267 Grant Street Bridgeport Connecticut 06610Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 384-3000
- St Vincent's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.64 miles away2800 Main St Bridgeport Connecticut 06606Voluntary non-profit - Church(203) 576-5551
- Waterbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.26 miles away64 Robbins St Waterbury Connecticut 06721Proprietary(203) 573-6000
- Midstate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.29 miles away435 Lewis Avenue Meriden Connecticut 06450Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 694-8200
- New Haven Home Dialysis0.26 miles away136 Sherman Avenue Suite 206 New Haven Connecticut 06511Dialysis Stations: 7 (203) 773-0853
- Davita New Haven Dialysis0.85 miles away15 Center Street New Haven Connecticut 06510CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (203) 859-7770
- St. Raphael Dialysis Center - New Haven1 miles awayDialysis Unit 137 Water Street New Haven Connecticut 06511CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (203) 772-2421
- u.s.renal Care Orange Dialysis4.8 miles away240 Indian River Rd, Suite D Orange Connecticut 06477CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (203) 891-8992
- Davita Branford Dialysis4.91 miles away249 West Main Street Branford Connecticut 06405Dialysis Stations: 13 (203) 481-8531
- Davita Hamden Dialysis5.57 miles away3000 Dixwell Avenue Suite 100 Hamden Connecticut 06518Dialysis Stations: 21 (203) 281-5361
- u.s.renal Care Branford Dialysis7.9 miles away322 East Main Street Suite 1a Branford Connecticut 06405Dialysis Stations: 13 (203) 483-0710
- North Haven Dialysis Center8.34 miles away266 State Street Suite 2 North Haven Connecticut 06473Dialysis Stations: 15 (203) 230-1946