Griffith Park Healthcare Center is an average-sized facility in Glendale, California. Our grading system was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. This place does not seem to have any redeeming qualities. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next section.
Griffith Park Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
201 Allen Ave.,
Glendale CA 91201
90.61% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Griffith Park Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home very poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing rating this year. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. Our nursing grade looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. According to its staffing data, this facility provided an average of 4.1 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which was above the national average. Lastly, we also looked at a few nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these metrics. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this metric. This is usually a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning residents at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't rate poorly in the category of long-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which happens to be among its more respectable scores. Our long-term care ratings are crucial for individuals seeking personal care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. The last datapoint we assessed is its hospitalization rate. While it had 3.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted statistic was not too far off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Griffith Park Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second least favorable category was short-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average score. In calculating our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is more often than not a useful assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Based on its score in this category, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse hours provided to its patients. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 38.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. This statistic was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. For nursing homes with poor inspection ratings, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This particular facility was assessed 14 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Griffith Park Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care residents who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 4.32% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 96.21% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.55 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Fmc-Burbank1.06 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis2 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.9 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.9 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Fmc-West Glendale3.23 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis3.88 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis4.19 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale4.36 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348