Located in Glendale, California, Griffith Park Healthcare Center is one of seven available nursing homes in the city. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a subpar facility. At the end of the day, we would struggle to recommend this nursing home. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong nursing grade. You can scroll down to find out about nursing and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Griffith Park Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Glendale senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not complementary of this facility's overall grade, it actually earned an impressive nursing grade this year. We gave it a B in this area. The nursing rating consists of quite a few components, but the primary one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category scores was in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After considering the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a life or death ailment for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Griffith Park Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its short-term care rating, which is not one of our better scores. Our short-term care grades are arguably more critical for those requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. With a grade of this caliber in this category, we were not stunned to discover this facility was well below average in several staffing figures we focus on. The facility provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The last metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics sunk this nursing home's short-term care score.
Moving on our last category of inspections, this nursing home received a grade that's as bad as it gets. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We would pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This nursing home had 14 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 8 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Griffith Park Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 0.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 2.91% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term patients that experienced a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 0.45% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that have sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 5.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 33.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 30.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 11.58% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 8.31% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 8.31% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 12.28% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.55 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Fmc-Burbank1.06 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis2 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.9 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.9 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Fmc-West Glendale3.23 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis3.88 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis4.19 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale4.36 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348