Griffith Park Healthcare Center turns out to be one of a host of options to choose from in Glendale, California. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a lower end nursing home. In our view, we'd struggle to recommend this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong nursing score. You can scroll down to learn more about nursing and other category scores
Griffith Park Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall grade, it received an impressive nursing score this year. We gave it a grade of B in this category. We scrutinized the levels of nurses working for the facility, as well as the number of hours the nurses spent with residents, in computing our score in this area. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving a resident even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to point out that this nursing home received positive long-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our higher scores in that area, with a grade of B. This proved to be the nursing home's second best grade. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Griffith Park Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second least favorable score is short-term care, where it earned just a D in that area. This is a relatively poor score. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. With its score in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this facility was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Honestly, this was what we expected here. Finally, we looked at the number of residents that were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. With nursing homes that received this bad of an inspection score, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular nursing home was hit with 14 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 7 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Griffith Park Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term patients that experienced urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Griffith Park Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.55 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Fmc-Burbank1.06 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis2 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.9 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.9 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Fmc-West Glendale3.23 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis3.88 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis4.19 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale4.36 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348