Greenwood Healthcare Center is in Greenwood, Indiana, a city with a total of 78,968 people. This is a lower end facility, with an overall grade of D. This was not the worse facility we found, but we'd still struggle to recommend it. In spite of all this, this facility did just fine in our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Greenwood Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this facility favorably overall, we actually gave it an excellent grade in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care score and that actually ended up being its next highest score. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is generally a meaningful measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenwood Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest category is long-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average grade. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated just 88.871475 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
The last area we scored is nursing. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is a rock bottom grade. The nursing score assesses several subcategories, but the primary one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenwood Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 12.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 91.48% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Greenwood Healthcare Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Greenwood, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Greenwood, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 1.36 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 3.97 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Johnson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away1125 W Jefferson St Franklin Indiana 46131Government - Local(317) 736-3300
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 12.41 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Fmc - Indianapolis-South1.5 miles away1350 E County Line Rd Suite L Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 865-8520
- Indiana Dialysis Company2.62 miles away7840 Madison Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46227CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 300-9400
- Us Renal Care-Greenwood Renal Center3.06 miles away125 Airport Parkway, Suite 140 Greenwood Indiana 46143CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (317) 883-1280
- Davita - Indy South Dialysis3.42 miles away972 Emerson Parkway, Suite E Greenwood Indiana 46143Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 881-0641
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC3.48 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Davita - Marion County7.26 miles away3834 South Emerson Avenue Building B Indianapolis Indiana 46203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 787-3171
- Davita - Dialysis - Franklin10.12 miles away1140 W Jefferson Street, Suite A Franklin Indiana 46131Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 736-4304
- Fmc - Franklin10.19 miles away1159 West Jefferson St., Suite 201 Franklin Indiana 46131Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 736-0465