Greenwood Health and Living Community is a large facility located in Greenwood, Indiana. We gave this facility a B- overall, which is a decent score. This is comparable with the city grade in Greenwood, which is a B. Based on our ratings, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Greenwood Health and Living Community
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave it an A+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to point out that this nursing home was given strong long-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our more favorable grades in this area, with a B. This proved to be the nursing home's second highest grade. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 93.92857 percent of its patients, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenwood Health and Living Community?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this nursing home received just a D in this category. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we learned that this nursing home offers less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
Switching gears to our next category, we gave this facility a D in nursing. This is the facility's worst category score. Sadly, this grade pulled down the facility's overall grade to a certain degree. Our nursing score is based on many subcategories, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This place averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenwood Health and Living Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 12.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 91.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Greenwood, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Greenwood, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 0.55 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 2.89 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Johnson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away1125 W Jefferson St Franklin Indiana 46131Government - Local(317) 736-3300
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.38 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 11.52 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 12.09 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Fmc - Indianapolis-South0.73 miles away1350 E County Line Rd Suite L Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 865-8520
- Indiana Dialysis Company1.66 miles away7840 Madison Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46227CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 300-9400
- Us Renal Care-Greenwood Renal Center2.33 miles away125 Airport Parkway, Suite 140 Greenwood Indiana 46143CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (317) 883-1280
- Davita - Indy South Dialysis2.47 miles away972 Emerson Parkway, Suite E Greenwood Indiana 46143Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 881-0641
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC2.67 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Davita - Marion County6.27 miles away3834 South Emerson Avenue Building B Indianapolis Indiana 46203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 787-3171
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy10.47 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729
- Davita - Dialysis - Franklin10.51 miles away1140 W Jefferson Street, Suite A Franklin Indiana 46131Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 736-4304