Greenwood Health and Living Community is a large facility located in Greenwood, Indiana. This is a good nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Greenwood. Based on the data we reviewed, there are certainly far worse places out there. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Greenwood Health and Living Community
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Greenwood senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its nearly flawless health inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an A+ in this category. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a B+ in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our higher grades. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 97.7492 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenwood Health and Living Community?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this nursing home was given a grade of just D in that area. Our short-term care scores are critical for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last measure we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care score.
The next area we rated was nursing, which is this nursing home's weakest area. It received an abysmal F in this category, which is clearly concerning. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses are seeing residents and the level of skill of those nurses. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenwood Health and Living Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 14.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 91.03% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Greenwood Health and Living Community, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 0.55 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 2.89 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Johnson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away1125 W Jefferson St Franklin Indiana 46131Government - Local(317) 736-3300
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.38 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 11.52 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 12.09 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Fmc - Indianapolis-South0.73 miles away1350 E County Line Rd Suite L Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 865-8520
- Indiana Dialysis Company1.66 miles away7840 Madison Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46227CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 300-9400
- Us Renal Care-Greenwood Renal Center2.33 miles away125 Airport Parkway, Suite 140 Greenwood Indiana 46143CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (317) 883-1280
- Davita - Indy South Dialysis2.47 miles away972 Emerson Parkway, Suite E Greenwood Indiana 46143Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 881-0641
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC2.67 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Davita - Marion County6.27 miles away3834 South Emerson Avenue Building B Indianapolis Indiana 46203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 787-3171
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy10.47 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729
- Davita - Dialysis - Franklin10.51 miles away1140 W Jefferson Street, Suite A Franklin Indiana 46131Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 736-4304