Greenfield Care Center of Gardena is in Gardena, California. With an overall rating of D, this is a well below average facility. This facility has very little working in its favor. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Greenfield Care Center of Gardena
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Greenfield Care Center of Gardena has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility well overall, we wanted to point out its decent health inspections in recent years. We gave it a somewhat respectable score of B- in this area. We would argue that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This place was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This figure is far below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenfield Care Center of Gardena?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed is short-term care, where this nursing home received a B- in this category. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is often a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care. This nursing home received a B- for the category. In crafting these long-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's personal care services. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenfield Care Center of Gardena Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who have suffered a fall resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenfield Care Center of Gardena, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Scores for Gardena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Gardena, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.52 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.96 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 6.1 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.84 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - Redondo1.2 miles away1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Suite 105 Gardena California 90247CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (310) 515-0788
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - 190th1.35 miles away1149 W. 190th Street, Suite 1004 Gardena California 90248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 965-0830
- Davita-Gateway Plaza Dialysis Center2.14 miles away1580 W. Rosecrans Avenue Compton California 90220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 631-3085
- Mobile Dialysis Services, Inc. (Compton)2.51 miles away801 W. Compton Blvd. Compton California 90220Dialysis Stations: 36 (310) 637-9026
- Fmc-Carson2.9 miles away20710 S. Leapwood Avenue, Suite F Carson California 90746Dialysis Stations: 11 (310) 323-8997
- u.s. Renal Care Carson Dialysis3.07 miles away930 East Dominguez Street, Suite A Carson California 90746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 532-5100
- Davita-Carson Dialysis3.36 miles away1309 E. Carson Street Carson California 90745CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 513-1427
- Davita-Harbor Ucla3.41 miles away21602 S. Vermont Avenue Torrance California 90502CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (310) 533-0413