Greenbrier Regional Medical Center is one of only two available facilities located in Chesapeake, Virginia. With an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel nursing home. This facility doesn't seem to have much going for it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection score. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Greenbrier Regional Medical Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1017 George Washington Highway North,
Chesapeake VA 23323
81% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it actually fared pretty well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B for that area, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid facilities with a bunch of severe deficiencies flagged. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second most respectable category is long-term care, but even there it earned just a D in that category. This still happens to be a well below average grade. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the nursing home did not perform well in our measures relating to resident care. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccines. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 73.73418 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 1.3 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenbrier Regional Medical Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its short-term care rating, which is well below average in this category. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Based on its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we assessed. Frankly, this was what we expected to find. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. It performed better in this area, with 57.8 percent of its residents returning home.
Moving on to our final area, this nursing home didn't perform well in this area either. Due to a poor grade of F in nursing, this is just about as bad as it gets. We scrutinized the levels of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses worked with residents, in determining our grade in this category. With a meager 2.7 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. On top of receiving below average marks for nursing hours, this facility was less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in calculating our nursing scores. We looked at the percent of patients experiencing pressure ulcers and found that this place was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in this metric. This is a bad sign when you consider that so many pressure ulcers are preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, this statistic really dragged down this facility's nursing rating significantly.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenbrier Regional Medical Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 4.13% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 91.75% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Greenbrier Regional Medical Center, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.97 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 6.25 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.65 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Obici HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.47 miles away2800 Godwin Boulevard Suffolk Virginia 23439Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 934-4000
- Rai - Airline-Portsmouth 72532.74 miles away3080 Airline Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 488-3590
- Dominion Dialysis Center4.01 miles away910 Great Bridge Blvd Ste 101 Chesapeake Virginia 23320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 549-3813
- Portsmouth Dialysis Center4.09 miles away2000 High St Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 397-4300
- Rai - Goode Way-Portsmouth4.49 miles away311 Goode Way Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 393-6582
- Davita - Greater Portsmouth4.49 miles awayDialysis Unit 3516 Queen St Portsmouth Virginia 23707CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (757) 397-2806
- Total Renal Care - Chesapeake5.05 miles away1400 Crossways Blvd Crossway Ii Ste 106 Chesapeake Virginia 23320CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 523-0666
- Davita Great Bridge Dialysis Center5.58 miles away745 North Battlefield Blvd Chesapeake Virginia 23320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (757) 312-8346
- Chesapeake Kidney Center5.61 miles away111 Medical Pkwy Ste 100 Chesapeake Virginia 23320CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (757) 549-1069