Greenbriar Center is an average-sized nursing home in Youngstown, Ohio. Our grading system was not very kind to this facility, as it received an overall grade of F. Not surprisingly, this is rated as one of the bottom 10 rated nursing homes in Youngstown based on the data we assessed. In a city with many other nursing homes, you should be able to find an alternative. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to discover that this nursing home earned a somewhat respectable short-term care rating this year. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. Short-term care grades are critical for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final item we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 5.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenbriar Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Another issue was the F this nursing home was given in the category of long-term care. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 92.85714 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
The last category we rated is nursing. We gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is a rock bottom grade. Our nursing rating features a number of subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This place offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenbriar Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenbriar Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenbriar Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that have sustained falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenbriar Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which have had a UTI. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenbriar Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenbriar Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenbriar Center, 20.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenbriar Center, 90.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenbriar Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenbriar Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenbriar Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenbriar Center, 12 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Greenbriar Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Youngstown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Youngstown, Ohio has 21 other nursing homes
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.81 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.57 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 14.69 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.44 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 17.59 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.25 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.1.03 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC1.62 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Fmc - North Lima2.01 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis2.45 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.4.33 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg5.56 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Fmc - Youngstown8.07 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Fmc- Austintown9.17 miles away139 Javit Court Youngstown Ohio 44515CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 799-1150