Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Birmingham, Alabama. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this facility is one of the more impressive nursing homes we looked at. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities nationally. If you look further down this page, you can see this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Birmingham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its elite resume, this nursing home also excelled in our long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- for the area. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 63.961037 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is a few points below what we anticipated but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. There are quite a few subcategories included in this category. Many of the datapoints are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Alabama in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of turning patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. In this area, we gave this facility an impressive grade of B. Our short-term care grades are probably most critical for individuals requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents which suffered falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.36% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 19.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 23.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.24% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 91.17% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.58% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.98% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.81 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 10.28 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Greenbriar at the Altamont Skilled Nursing Facility, 76.71% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 8 other nursing homes
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 0.4 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 1.35 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.99 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 9.22 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- Rcg Southside0.73 miles away2131 Magnolia Ave South #100 Birmingham Alabama 35205Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 322-4382
- Dsi South Dialysis0.83 miles away3201 3rd Ave South Birmingham Alabama 35222Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 502-5300
- Birmingham Central Dialysis0.92 miles away728 Richard Arrington Blvd S Birmingham Alabama 35233CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (205) 250-6760
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc0.93 miles away2024 4th Ave South, Suite 100 Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 321-5844
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc1.07 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757
- Magic City Dialysis1.07 miles away300 22nd St. S Birmingham Alabama 35233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (205) 986-0592
- Childrens Hospital Dialysis1.37 miles away1600 7th Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 7 (205) 638-9275
- Fmc West3.55 miles away633 Lomb Avenue Birmingham Alabama 35211Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 781-2366