Green House Cottages of Carmel is in Carmel, Indiana. The city has a population of 77,123 people. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a well below average facility. This wasn't the worse place we graded, but we'd still struggle to recommend it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong nursing grade. You can continue reading to learn more about nursing and other category scores
Green House Cottages of Carmel
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B in nursing. This score is quite a bit more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. Nursing grades are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's better category scores was in the area of long-term care. This wound up being its second best category. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's personal care instead of the highly skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to just 72.413795 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Green House Cottages of Carmel?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home just a D for our short-term care grade. This is not a very good score. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is more often than not a useful measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. With its poor score in this area, we were not surprised to find that this facility provides far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. The last item we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics doomed this nursing home's short-term care grade.
In the last category of inspections, this facility fared very poorly. It received an F in our inspection category. For places with poor inspection grades, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home had 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we also need to point out that this place was assessed significant government fines recently of more than $100,000. This typically suggests that a nursing home's poor performance spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Green House Cottages of Carmel Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 12.89% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 91.48% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Scores for Carmel, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carmel, Indiana has 6 other nursing homes
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.88 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis0.73 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living0.94 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Fmc - Carmel1.89 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC1.91 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis4.22 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North5.18 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC6.46 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Fmc - Noblesville Dialysis7.42 miles away165 Sheridan Road Noblesville Indiana 46060Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 770-8900