Green House Cottages of Carmel is in Carmel, Indiana. The city has a population of 77,123 people. With an overall score of F, we consider this to be a very poor facility. This nursing home is really as bad as it gets. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Green House Cottages of Carmel
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Green House Cottages of Carmel has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Carmel senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home an abysmal overall score, we awarded it a B- for our nursing category. In determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses are seeing residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This facility provided just 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't perform too badly in the area of short-term care. In fact, we gave it a grade of B- for that category, which ended up being another one of its more favorable scores. With our short-term care score, we attempt to forge a fair measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Green House Cottages of Carmel?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest score was long-term care, where it received just a D in that category. This is a relatively poor grade. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 82.27273 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
The final category we assessed is inspections. This nursing home didn't receive favorable inspections in recent years. Consequently, we had to give it an F in this category. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection rating. We recommend you scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Green House Cottages of Carmel Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 3.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients that suffered a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 0.94% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 20.19% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 18.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 2.53% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 86.75% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 19.79% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 14.73% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 14.73% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 12.89% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Green House Cottages of Carmel, 86.71% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Carmel, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carmel, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.88 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis0.73 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living0.94 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Fmc - Carmel1.89 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC1.91 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis4.22 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North5.18 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC6.46 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Fmc - Noblesville Dialysis7.42 miles away165 Sheridan Road Noblesville Indiana 46060Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 770-8900