Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home in Granite City, Illinois. We gave this facility an overall rating of F. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Granite City. The city has just one other nursing home. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a C for that category, which is one of our better scores. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in categories J through L. This indicates that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to place patient safety or health in immediate harm or jeopardy. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
This facility's second best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Our nursing score is largely associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these datapoints to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
Another issue was the F this nursing home received in the area of long-term care. For patients looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 99.50495 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded is short-term care, in which this nursing home received a bottom of the barrel score here also. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this category, which is obviously a major concern. Short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Given its score in this category, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the figures we assessed. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients which sustained UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 29.8% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 87.49% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Granite Nursing & Rehabilitation, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 6.44 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.4 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.82 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- Davita - Foxpoint Dialysis0.41 miles away1300 Schaefer Rd. Suite J Granite City Illinois 62040Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 451-8730
- Davita - Granite City Dialysis Center0.7 miles away9 American Village Granite City Illinois 62040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 452-5858
- North County Kidney Care Dialysis5.34 miles away1554 Sierra Vista Plz Saint Louis Missouri 63138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 438-0864
- Chambers Dialysis5.78 miles away10241 Lewis & Clark Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 868-5982
- Davita - Collinsville6.42 miles away101 Lanter Ct. Collinsville Illinois 62234Dialysis Stations: 8 (618) 344-2016
- North County Dialysis Center6.89 miles away272 Mayfair Drive Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 859-1234
- Gateway St Louis Dialysis, LLC7.37 miles away4100 Union Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63115Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 382-3480
- Westfall Dialysis7.73 miles away8029 W Florissant Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 382-2869