Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre is a senior living facility in El Cajon, California. The city has a total of 165,433 people. With an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in El Cajon. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this nursing home's overall score, it earned a somewhat respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in this area with a B-. We believe that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Nursing grades are primarily based on a facility's nurse staffing. This particular facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is far below the national average. Lastly, nursing scores also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
Long-term Care Quality
The next most favorable category we gave this facility in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In the category of long-term care, we focus on the amount of services offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more healthcare-oriented services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility vaccinated 99.65987 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable datapoint. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this facility received a grade of C in short-term care, which we consider to be a respectable score. Short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents that returned home from this facility. We found that 4.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this metric could be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to residents' health.
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.56 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.8 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 13.06 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.47 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Fmc-Balboa East County0.15 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon2.33 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.87 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis7.66 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College7.88 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego9.12 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise9.9 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-East Lakes10.05 miles away2391 Boswell Road Chula Vista California 91914CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (619) 397-0939