Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre is an average-sized nursing home located in El Cajon, California. With an overall grade of B-, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. Based on our assessment, this nursing home is a good fit for quite a few people. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on El Cajon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility earned a favorable short-term care score this year. We gave them a strong grade in that category, with a grade of B+. This is a better grade than the facility's overall score and was a boost to its overall profile. In computing these short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of C. When determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the number of hours nurses are seeing patients and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below the national average. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care. For that category, we awarded this nursing home a C. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 6.29% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 3.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients that had urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 27.59% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 98.81% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.37% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 11.47% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 11.47% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.03% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Granite Hills Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 85.94% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.56 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.8 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 13.06 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.47 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Fmc-Balboa East County0.15 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon2.33 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.87 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis7.66 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College7.88 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego9.12 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise9.9 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-East Lakes10.05 miles away2391 Boswell Road Chula Vista California 91914CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (619) 397-0939